Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to sell my 2016 Grizzly for a month now on Facebook and Craigslist. I was thinking I could fetch between $7k and $7,500. I have had one inquiry, and the guy wanted to trade only.

When ever a jump on Craigslist there are brand new Sportsman 400s and 570s for dirt cheap. Are machines like these killing resale for the more expensive machines? My 550 sold quickly and for a pretty penny. There is no interest in my 2016. Maybe it is too new and the average buyer would rather buy a new one for a couple grand more?

Reactions: sstumpf

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
There are very few 2016 Grizzly for sale here in Nova Scotia Canada. They couple I do see are priced Crazy High.
A new grizzly 700 sells for $10700 plain EPS to $13100 for a 700 LE... that's 2018 prices.
Fellas want $11500 for a used 2016 700 EPS camo with a back seat and hand warmers.
Guys seem to want all their tax money and pdi and freight money back.
Tax is 15% here and we have to pay it on used machines as well. The Sellers forget that.
I'd never pay even $10k for a machine I could by New for $12k with a year warranty and low % financing

2016 Grizzly 700 le,
26 Bighorns on Stock wheels.
1 1/2" custom tip, EHS fuel controller.
1.5mm shim and Dalton Metallic Red secondary, 224 watt 12" LED bar.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Those are in Canadian dollars remember...

2016 Grizzly 700 le,

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I do agree with you though.. there are so many low dollar bikes that it's hard to move the high dollar machines.
My father just just bought a used Grizzly 700 LE with 250 miles on it. It was Mint.. not even one spec of mud ever baked on the muffler.
Came with a Tric plow. $8000 CAD ... it was are hard decision for him as he owned an Arctic Cat 500 for 10 years and it was a great machine. A Brand new fuel injection Power steering 550 cat was $7900 at the dealer. That's $7900 plus 15% tax plus freight and deliver inspection bla bla... but still. It has a warranty and is brand new for less than a 6 year old grizzly.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Here's a used 2017 with some accessories. It would be a $10700 Atv at Full retail plus the accessories. This fella wants $12500 for it.. it has 1227km 89 hours on it.
It'll never sell for that much.

2016 Grizzly 700 le,

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I saw that bike on kijiji. He'll never sell it at that price.
More than likely that's how much he still owes on the financing of it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It was $13500 with all the accessories back in the early spring. Was at a dealer and brand new then. My buddy sent me the link when I was shopping for my grizzly

2016 Grizzly 700 le,

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... But I think the issue with selling high dollar lightly used machines is all about the FINANCING. Seems like most (but not all) people buying new ATV's these days are financing them. So most of the people looking to spend over $7k are probably looking at financing. And it's typically easier to get financing on a $7k value new machine than it is on a lightly used $7k premium machine. My non-financed $0.02

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... But I think the issue with selling high dollar lightly used machines is all about the FINANCING. Seems like most (but not all) people buying new ATV's these days are financing them. So most of the people looking to spend over $7k are probably looking at financing. And it's typically easier to get financing on a $7k value new machine than it is on a lightly used $7k premium machine. My non-financed $0.02
You actually nailed it right here. Not many people got $7000-$10000 just hanging around. Most use financing. And financing at a dealer is easy to get and simple.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You actually nailed it right here. Not many people got $7000-$10000 just hanging around. Most use financing. And financing at a dealer is easy to get and simple.
And for people that are paying cash, up in those amounts most people are more comfortable handing it to a dealer. That way if something goes belly up with the machine the next day, there is at least a place to go back to. Hand over that amount of cash to a private seller, and good luck getting anything worked out the second you pull out of their driveway. That max amount for a private party deal I'll do is about $4k. That's not a logical number, just an unexplainable thing in my head. Number varies for everyone.

Just a long way of explaining why selling a 2016 Grizzly could be tough, and why lots of people just end up getting stuck trading them into the stealerships.

·
Grand High Inquisitioner
990 Posts
And for people that are paying cash, up in those amounts most people are more comfortable handing it to a dealer. That way if something goes belly up with the machine the next day, there is at least a place to go back to. Hand over that amount of cash to a private seller, and good luck getting anything worked out the second you pull out of their driveway. That max amount for a private party deal I'll do is about $4k. That's not a logical number, just an unexplainable thing in my head. Number varies for everyone.

Just a long way of explaining why selling a 2016 Grizzly could be tough, and why lots of people just end up getting stuck trading them into the stealerships.
I felt this in my wallet a couple months ago. I think there is also a lot of concern about the 2016 models due to 1st model year of new design and lots of people reporting major engine problems with them. Glad to have mine gone from the garage. Traded it in, took a beating on it, would do it again.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Great points above were made and I would like to add that around here everyone wants a SXS and the atv market is shrinking almost daily so the customer base for an atv is a s well. I went the SXS route and sold it mainly because it made me realize I'm not ready trade the handlebars in for a steering wheel just yet. Soooooo glad I held on to my Grizz.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer offered me $6,150 in trade. You aren't kidding about the sxs boom. That's all everyone rides around here.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Dealer offered me $6,150 in trade. You aren't kidding about the sxs boom. That's all everyone rides around here.
Just remember the stealer can't give you what it's worth or they wouldn't be able to make any money on it and they are in the business to make money. The only reason to give it to a stealer is because it's easier than selling it out right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
People see the pricing for the sportsman's and think GREAT-power steering-fuel injection for next to nothing

Problem is most people don't acutally go out and test ride them-I owned a 2014 sportsman 570 EPS FI, and a 2005 Grizzly 660

The sportsman was PURE crap, would clunk over bumps, would snap axles in the front, frame cracked and that was ridden by my wife.....

The 05 grizzly non FI no Power steering was an ANIMAL compared to the sportsman

In the end the both sold for the same money 4k or so when I almost paid 10k for the sportsman after tax-and add ons......

If you actually compare side x side and people actually test rode both-not just in someones yard or driveway-people would literally be giving away the value machines for free. Id never own anything else.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just remember the stealer can't give you what it's worth or they wouldn't be able to make any money on it and they are in the business to make money. The only reason to give it to a stealer is because it's easier than selling it out right.
I'm aware that the dealer needs to make money. I want a sxs but not so badly that I would let my 2016 go for $6,150. Not unless he would knock some money off a new machine.

I'll probably end up keeping the machine. There is absolutely 0 interest in it so far.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I am speculating, but wonder if the machines are getting too expensive, along with money does not go far as use too. And, For many, wages have not kept up in the last 10 years. The cost of a new truck now to trailer one is incredibly high now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts