Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 yamaha grixxly 600
going to try to adjust valves. manual says.. intake should be 0.05-0.10 mm.. exhaust should be 0.12-0.17mm
should i try to adjust to the low number or high number or try for the middle

·
Registered
800 Posts
A great guy who had a similar machine to help you out is @dezz. I would run them more open as, at least the newer Grizzlies, the valves have a bad habbit of tightening up over time.

Reactions: inkydinky

·
Premium Member
10,662 Posts
I suggest going to the wide side for full closing of the valves.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Adjust them to the larger gap. They might have a tick to them, but that is normal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
motor smokes on start up till engine gets warm so if valves are out of adjustment would that be one thing that would cause that?

·
Registered
800 Posts
motor smokes on start up till engine gets warm so if valves are out of adjustment would that be one thing that would cause that?
I really don't think this is the valves. This is usually is a sign of the piston rings sticking. This can be caused by a few things... I think. I do remember the member @Madkawi750 having his rings sticking because he used canned ham oil mixed in with his regular Grizzly oil. But wiser people than me will chime in.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
X2 always set valves close to the upper limits.

Smoking at start then clearing up after warm up is usually valve seals.

·
Registered
800 Posts
X2 always set valves close to the upper limits.

Smoking at start then clearing up after warm up is usually valve seals.
I see. So for the sake of education could piston rings cause this as well? Or did I remember wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Best way to be sure is check compression then put a bit of oil in cylinder. If compression goes up, it is rings. If it stays the same, it is usually valves.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I see. So for the sake of education could piston rings cause this as well? Or did I remember wrong.
In most cases its valve seals. But piston rings could also cause it.

When the engine is off, the oil that is on top of the head leaks down past the valve seals. This sits on top of the piston until it is burned off on the next start, causing smoke on start up.

Worn piston rings can cause smoking on start up too, but usually when the smoke doesn't stop once warmed up. Worn piston rings (more importantly the oil control ring), will smoke as long the the engine is running.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Mine would start smoking about 20-30 seconds after startup. It wasn't an initial thing. Then it would pour smoke for a minute or so, untill the motor started to warm up then it would clear.
If it were valves I would guess it would do it right from the start. If it were stuck piston rings it would start smoking as the oil continued to get past the rings as the piston went through its motions.

I was told it was gummed up rings due to burnt oil. The rings would stick in the piston grooves when the engine would cool. As I warmed up they would release and it would run right. Stop and let it get cold again and the contraction from cold would press the rings back into their gummy grooves. I did a 24 hour combustion clean with Kleen-Flo combustion cleaner, then changed the oil and it fixed my issue.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Take the spark plug out. Turn engine over until piston is near the top. (Just saves the amount of cleaner you’ll need to fill the cylinder) spray the kleenflo combustion cleaner in the plug hole until full. On the 2016 and newer there is a drainage hole for letting water out that gets in by the plug. The cleaner will run out this hole. You can temporarily plug it if you wish. I didn’t. I just kept spraying until I was sure the cylinder was full.
Leave it for 24 hours
Then put a rag over the whole to catch the mess.
Spin the engine over to blow the cleaner out.
Put the spark plug back in. Start and run it for 30 seconds to clean the cylinder some more.
Stop the engine!
No more than 30 seconds to a minute of running because there’ll be cleaner in your oil.
Now drain the oil and put new stuff in along with a new oil filter.
There will be smoke for a while after the next start up as your pipe will have had cleaner blown into it. You have to burn this off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts