Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my warm plow system, all installed by my yamaha dealer, out for the first time this week. It worked fantastic for about 30 minutes. I was plowing our driveway, I got a high spot just off the gravel driveway and it stopped me and my viking in my tracks. I noticed the plow mount was bent and broke. I loaded it up, took it to my yamaha dealer and they claim I broke the mount and some mount tube? Is going to be close to $1,000 to fix. Is this normal and ok for a dealership to operate this way? I was under the impression that if I hit something while plowing, the plow would just roll over as a safety feature for something like this not to happen. I am just looking for advice here. I am about $16,000 into this machine and plow system and it lasted about a half hour before major damage was done. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I suggest not getting your dealer to install or fix anything on your machine... sounds to me like the blade wasn't set up properly in the spring area. I would get it welded up throw some paint on it and plow on after adjusting it properly

·
Registered
209 Posts
Its possible the tension on the springs was set to the higher option. Im curious, you can check it yourself. Thats where I set mine but I have a feeling its probably better on the lower setting. I have yet to use mine.

Got any pics?

Don't see why it would be a $1000 to fix.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That seems a bit fishy to me, I have a moose set up that I've had for 8 years and have snagged it (hard) on the ground and have not damage it. Imo it sounds like the system wasn't set up right, cheaply made, or you dealer isn't treating you well. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have an old warn plow. Was on my 2009 700 grizz. Its hit stuff so hard Ive hurt my wrists when coming to a dead halt. Its been very tough..
However I had an Eagle plow on my Teryx that was crap. It bent and broke every time I took it out. the welds were crap and most of them broke. Maybe Warn is going cheap with their manufacturing now, just like my faulty Eagle plow.
Either way. it should NOT cost $1000 to fix a plow. A whole new set up wouldn't cost $1000. Take it to a local welder and theyll likely fix you up for $100 or so.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Far too many unknowns for anyone here to even guess what the issue was/is.

As for the price/fix: What was broken? Is the $1K quote to repair 100% the mount and push tube only, or did you damage the frame or something else on the machine?

A brand new Warn front plow mount, push tube assembly and a brand new blade can be had for $440. You didn't say your blade was damaged, though.

If all you need is the mount and tube, that's $250 from Amazon.com ($105 for the mount and $135 for the push tube).

Are you a plowing newbie? You really need to be careful as you learn how to plow, and you need to learn your property/where you plow. You can't just beat the hell out of it and expect to call it a warranty issue or a defect. I learned the hard way my first season, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all of your replies and your insight. I am new to plowing with our viking, however I have plowed for years with our old tractor. I know the property very well and was very excited to get out there with our new investment! So after many phone calls to the dealership and to warn, my answer I get from everyone seems to be a generic answer of "you must have been going to fast". I am not saying I wasnt going to fast as I don't know exactly how fast I should be going. I assume I need to go fast enough for the snow to roll off the blade. I was going between 8-10 mph when I hit our low spot. The dealership said everything was installed properly (of course they say that) and I am responsible for all repairs. The mount is going to be 200 and if the tubes or whatever else might need to be replaced which would be 450 plus labor. Thank you again for all your help

·
"Respect my authoratah"
3,360 Posts
It sounds like the dealership intention is to just replace the push tube and mount. If that is the case, do it yourself and order the parts from Amazon as listed above.

Did the dealership look at the broken parts? If they didn't, not sure how they can go assume it is 100% your fault.

·
Registered
209 Posts
yah save yourself the money , its an easy fix

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Sounds to me like you are from Canada ... prices are to high for you to be located in USA. Posting some pics would better help us help you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am from South Dakota 'eh. The dealership said they looked into the installation process from when they installed it originally. It just sounds like they are more interested in getting into my wallet for some more cash. I was really hoping this plow and viking was going to be the answer for our snow removal for years to come but I am now second guessing it. Thank you again everyone for your help.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
It will be your answer for years to come trust us there .. just have to get through this bull#$&* and it will suit your needs well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys, I just got a little more information after being on the phone for most of the afternoon. I talked to "Warn", they do not make a mount or push base tube for a 2015 yamaha viking 6. I called the dealership and they ordered warn part number 92156, which they are charging me $224. I can order that part on Amazon for $161 but says it will not fit the 2015 viking. The other part the dealership ordered is warn part number 79805, which they are charging me $442 and I can order that on Amazon for $322 and also says it will not fit the 2015 viking. In my conversations with Warn, I asked them if they had a call from a dealership for a mount and base kit for a 2015 viking, would they refer them to these parts that fit the 2014 but not the 15? He said no, they wouldn't. SO, my question is because these parts from Warn not for the 2015 model, should I be paying for this repair or should I be getting my money back from my initial purchase of the winch, plow and mounting kit for $1,794 and finding one that is actually made for my model of SxS?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I would go after the dealer for sure .. as warn says that the 14 won't fit the 15 and they installed the 14 on a 15 this is there issue .. granted there is no difference between the two years and chances are warn never did the R&D to say they will fit so just won't do the foot in mouth thing. It is still legally on the dealer that they put the "wrong" part on your machine ... this isn't your issue .. I would try to get warn to email you those words so you can take it to your dealer with you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts