Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, so i am new here, Just bought my 2022 Grizzly, EPS SE , should be picking it up in a few weeks..
I am ordering stuff ahead of time, and would like some opinions.
I am pretty much sold on the Warn Provantage plow
Looking at the 60" Provantage Plow,
The warn 84600 Plow Lift
the Warn AXON 35S, just for a winch, nothing for plowing since im getting the Plow lift option
I am just up in the air on the Center mount, or Front mount..
i see benefits to both, but not sure what is a better option
i would be plowing my driveway and maybe a couple friends, nothing commerical,
Any advise would be much appreciated..

·
Registered
Grizzly XTR '22 Wolverine X2 '19
10 Posts
Hey Everyone, so i am new here, Just bought my 2022 Grizzly, EPS SE , should be picking it up in a few weeks..
The warn 84600 Plow Lift
the Warn AXON 35S, just for a winch, nothing for plowing since im getting the Plow lift option
In the same boat as you, but with an XTR. They recommended a different mount config than I previous thought.. guess it be the front mount. I'll get more info, and get back.

Looking at the tapered 60" from Warn after I know all proper plow setups before install.

·
Premium Member
12,499 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Both attachment points work well for most, unless pushing very heavy loads then the center mount can be more stable.
The front mounting point is up out of the way for most trail conditions so doesn't drag in the rocks if left attached during the summer, the center mount will lower the ground clearance and might need to be removed at snow season's end.

Reactions: Thetaz01

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from Colorado.
Both attachment points work well for most, unless pushing very heavy loads then the center mount can be more stable.
The front mounting point is up out of the way for most trail conditions so doesn't drag in the rocks if left attached during the summer, the center mount will lower the ground clearance and might need to be removed at snow season's end.
Thanks i was aware of the clearance, difference, i should confirm for my own knoledge?
IF i were to do, a Center mount,
the center mount for the Grizzly is a Warn 88188, and IM assuming the WARN 78100 push bar tube assembly attaches to THAT!
can you confirm, when you say, the center mount will lower ground clearance and MIGHT need to be removed at the end of the season, ARE you referring to the Warn 78100 Push tube assembly, which im sure i would take off, OR did you mean the actual MOUNT, warn 88188?
if thats the case, THAT might be my deciding factor, i dont want to have to actually TAKE OFF brackets, in the summer

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,175 Posts
He is referring to the center mount plate, the actual universal mounting plate that attaches to your Grizzly frame and has "tabs" that hang down for the push bars to attach. That center mount plate really should come off for trail riding or it will get hung up on rocks. I went from the center mount to a front mount specifically for that reason, I didn't want to remove the plow mount plate and then reinstall my aftermarket skids. I'd mention the brand/model but the 60" plow I have is not made anymore and we are talking about a different Grizzly frame.

A front mount can be a little more unforgiving if you go and hard bash the plow blade into solid objects like curbs, tree stumps, etc. If you are careful about not hard bashing into things, a front mount should do you fine.

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is referring to the center mount plate, the actual universal mounting plate that attaches to your Grizzly frame and has "tabs" that hang down for the push bars to attach. That center mount plate really should come off for trail riding or it will get hung up on rocks. I went from the center mount to a front mount specifically for that reason, I didn't want to remove the plow mount plate and then reinstall my aftermarket skids. I'd mention the brand/model but the 60" plow I have is not made anymore and we are talking about a different Grizzly frame.

A front mount can be a little more unforgiving if you go and hard bash the plow blade into solid objects like curbs, tree stumps, etc. If you are careful about not hard bashing into things, a front mount should do you fine.
Gothcya., ok so you also eluded to something your saying for plowing i'd have to remove my botton skid plate, put on plow mount, then in summer, remove plow mount and re-attached skid plate?!
also, one other thing id like to clarify,
the Center connection plow, appears to be black, and a straight blade, the front mount appears to be tapered?
can i NOT use the Straight blade plow on the FRONT mount setup?

Thanks
Fred

·
Premium Member
12,499 Posts
The skid plate covers the frame tubes, and must be removed to bolt the center plow mounting plate to the machine. Some mounting plates are shaped and sized so the skid plate can then be reinstalled covering the plate and some mounting plates don't. The plate has tabs/hooking points for the blade arms to hook to and these hang down below the frame, lowering the ground clearance.
I have a couple local buddies that have center mount plows for their roads, and they have the plow mounted to their wife's machine. They leave the mounting plate attached during the summer as the wife only ride bunny trails never in danger of dragging anything.

Reactions: Thetaz01

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, NOW i am leaning towards, front mounted..
However, can someone confirm, I dont like that the Front mounted is tapered, and the center mount is Straight blade, can someone confirm IF the straight blade can MOUNT to the front mount??

·
Grizzled
4,175 Posts
The answer about which plow blade can mount to which push tubes can really only be answered by the seller or manufacturer of the parts or by someone with the experience with the parts you are asking about. I don't have personal experience with Warn plow blades, push tubes or their plow mounts.

The CycleCountry blade I have could have been ordered with push tubes for a front or center mount, front mount push tubes being different than center mount push tubes. Center mount push tubes have to be longer because of where they attach.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Something else to consider, when you angle your plow you will want your front wheels to be inside the plow width so your not continuously running over your plow ridge with your front wheel, so when buying the plow make sure the width is right for your Grizzly, I use a 60" warn on my old 450 honda and when plowing on angle my front wheels are just inside the plow width, my 16 grizzly is alot wider than my old 450.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A 60" plow will still keep grizzly tires inside the angled plow path, a 54" is required for the old 44" wide Hondas. Ideally you need 10" wider than your bikes width to angle plow outside your wheel tracks.
As for the center mounts, they only hang down roughly 1.5", and it's 4 x 1/4"wide steel tabs. They rarely hang up on things in the summer unless you are going over a big rock or a log that's closer to your full ground clearance.i never had much issue with them on my old Honda, and that was 2" lower than my Kodiak was stock.
As for removing skid plates, I didn't bother, I marked my mounting location, then just brilled holes for the u bolts. Mount the plate directly over the skids. No need to constantly switch if you do some pre planning and spend 5 extra min during install.
2 things to keep in mind, what type of snow do you usually get, and do you have any steep inclines or need to load on a ramp into truck or trailer? If you load up a ramp or have to plow anywhere with a small steeper incline, a center mount may not lift high enough to go up ramp or up the incline. I have a spot that the ground ramps up steep to a storage shed, my center mount won't rise high enough to go up it. Safe with my old trailer, the shorter ramp was too steep so I had to park next to a high spot by driveway so ramp want as steep. My cargo trailer ramp is 6ft long, not that steep.

If you get allot of wet heavy snow, a center mount is best, it evens out the weight on the whole bike frame and actually allows for more traction, but if you get light snow or nice fluffy powder, or grainy frozen pellet snow, front mount is nice because you can lift it higher as you get to the bank.
Both work well, center is far cheaper route, but if I could do it over, I would do front just for ease of attachment, since I rarely get wet heavy snow, and this isn't my primary snow removal device, the plow guy does the driveway, I just clean a path to laundry for our tenants, and out back around my trailer and the storage shed areas.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Grizzled
4,175 Posts
As for the center mounts, they only hang down roughly 1.5", and it's 4 x 1/4"wide steel tabs. They rarely hang up on things in the summer unless you are going over a big rock or a log that's closer to your full ground clearance.
Really depends on the area and I don’t agree with you on that as a general statement. A center mount plate is not something I would recommend leaving on for the places I’m riding as it is very rocky and will get you hung up. I’m frequently using my skids, sliding over rocks large enough to make contact with the skids.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Really depends on the area and I don’t agree with you on that as a general statement. A center mount plate is not something I would recommend leaving on for the places I’m riding as it is very rocky and will get you hung up. I’m frequently using my skids, sliding over rocks large enough to make contact with the skids.
That's exactly why I stated "unless you are going over big rocks".
I've gone whole summer without hardly a nick on mine, then other summers, I've been caught on rocks or loss, bent the tabs bagged then up bad. It just depends.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
great thank you everyone
I think im going to go with the Center mount, striaght blade, and remove during the summer..
thanks for all the input!!

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
423 Posts
There are times I would like a front mount for ease but living in a micro climate with the county plow leaving 3 Ft. + ice bergs; I just leave my center mount blade on until April some years. I have drappged
Snow Sky Slope Branch Tree

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
423 Posts
Darn, cut me off. I have kept the mounting plate on for the last 24 yrs and while it has periodically dragged off rocks/stumps, down trees, etc...never broke a tab off yet, if it does on day, that is what I have a welder for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The warn 84600 Plow Lift
Might check see if axion will fit, would not fit my 21 kodiak 700eps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the Warn 60" Provantage Straight Blade Plow with the Front Mount Kit and it all works fine. As others have pointed out the front mount bracket doesn't have to be removed for trail riding and rock climbing. The front mount bracket doesn't cost me any ground clearance and I can trail ride between snows in the winter. We have had snows as deep as 8" since I have had it and it all works well for my driveway and the few neighboring driveways I do each snow.

·
Registered
Grizzly XTR '22 Wolverine X2 '19
10 Posts
Talked to the dealer - they suggested front mount, and duly noted about the ground clearance being the biggest key to the front mount as well as more wiggle room with the blade in that position. We have a front mount on the Wolvy X2 with the 72'' Warn straight blade - and only good experience so far with that mount config, but it used solely for work operations, and no serious play/rec.

Nonetheless, I learned more on GC from checking back on this post.. good lookinz from y'all. Love my new Griz, taking her out today in the afternoon.. still in break-in period tho, so no serious playtime yet.

After 20hrs - is it full go till the first service(per Yami manual)? Or do you guys suggest breaking-in the engine differently? I know some enthusiasts know these engines super super well, and have suggestions that are not in the manual. Should I run rich with 91-93octo for the first 10-15gallons then to 87/89 for the rest of her life? Would you lay off plowing/towing till after break-in?

·
Premium Member
12,499 Posts
These are low compression engines and don't need the higher octane to prevent pre-detonation.
The best way to let the engine wear in is to go through heat cycles regularly. In my area, the trail conditions allow for an average speed of 10 m.p.h., and those I ride with use the 10 mile rule for rest stops and something to drink and a smoke. This lets the engine get hot to normal operating temp, then cool off during the rest period, then get hot again. If we hit a faster stretch the stops are more frequent, but on average we stop once an hour.
We don't worry about light throttle for the first few hours, we just ride the bike as the trail conditions allow and over time we have not had an engine fail or start to use excessive oil due to over stress.
Generally those on a new machine take the first few hours getting use the handling and performance characteristic, so don't stress the engine much in the beginning.
As for the servicing, fresh fluids never hurt anything and the Griz doesn't take much so is not expensive to service.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts