Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prob a dumb question but dont know much about electrical. I installed a 2000lb warn winch. It's all hooked up and working however I can run the winch with the key off. Should I have tapped into a diff wire or is it OK and safe to have it wired this way? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Is there a chance a person might sit on your quad and play with the switches? If so, it's probably better to use an ignition controlled lead.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You might of used the Yamaha factory power lead that plugs into your factory harness giving you 2 switched power leads , its been mentioned on this site a hundred times .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. No one will be around it to press the button. Just didn't wanna kill my battery or start a fire

·
Premium Member
10,158 Posts
I picked up power to the switch from the head light wire. No headlights, no winch. Key Off, No Lights, No Winch.
I did it in case something got into the switch, like after a roll over or tree branch or whatever. In a bad situation, like after a crash, I didn't want the winch burned up because I couldn't get to the machine quickly.
Plus, I can end up in a group and you never know when someone else leans against a button.
Its the one you don't see coming that will cause the problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I always leave mine in free spool, just in case the switch does get activated...

Reactions: Grumpy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts