Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I went to load the bike in the truck today, I normally use the winch to secure it to my headache rack, I flicked it on free spool, pulled the cable out and when I flicked it back to tighten it up there was nothing. I had the bike in the truck sunday and used the winch and it worked great. Wondering if anyone has any ideas what this may be. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Does it go out with the switch

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does it click or dim the lights when you hit the switch? If not, maybe the switch wires came loose at the connection to the solenoid? Switch or solenoid could be bad.

If you hear a click, your solenoid could still be suspect. Mine wouldn't let the cable out sometimes, but would click. rocking the switch back and fourth would get it to go down again until finally it wouldn't. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts, put it back together and it works fine now.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Just get out the tester and test the power coming from the switch to the contactor ... if your getting power their both sides then test he the power coming out going to the winch

·
Vendor
715 Posts
To single out whether it's your winch or contactor, disconnect the two wires from the winch. Connect jumper cables to what you know is a good battery (I wouldn't use the battery in the wheeler) and touch the jumper cables to the terminals on the winch. Doesn't matter which terminal you touch. It'll run either forward or backwards if the winch is good. Reverse the cables to make it go the other way. If the winch works, check your contactor and switch. If it does not work try lightly tapping the motor end of the winch and try it. I've had to take them apart and clean them before. They tend to get corroded after years or mud and water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts