Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a grizzly 660 that is new to me, but I think its an 06 model. Runs perfect as far as cranking, idling, riding down the road.

Today while duck hunting it stalled in high water and I noticed there was no plug in the bottom of the air box. We were miles and miles from any help and since the engine was not submerged, we tipped it on its rear for a bit to drain and then cranked it and it is running perfect as far as engine.

However, the belt (or clutch?) is now slipping. Give it gas and once you are past 1/4 clutch everything just revs but no power to the wheels. It is snorkled and one of the snorkles did blow some white smoke which smelled like burned water.

do the Grizzly's have a sealed belt system that got water in it? Or is it a coincidence and the belt probably just needs to be replaced from normal wear and tear?

I need to expect this bike to perform well in high water on a regular basis, so if this is to be expected regularly I may have to sell.

Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
1,734 Posts
If there is not a plug in bottom of clutch housing i would say belt is wet ... Need to take apart and clean everything in the primary, then regrease roller weights and inspect belt for specs and possibly replace and make sure you get a plug in cover so it doesn't take in anymore water and/or mud.... Good luck....

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Also inspect the air duct connections for tightness.
I've had water in mine and the belt slipped. I removed the drain plug and the belt dried quickly and was under way.
Once home I removed the cover to inspect the grease and clean when needed.
If the top of the snorkels stayed above the water there must be a open connection. With the air box the lid seal may be broke.

This was another guy in deep water with everything sealed properly. He went many miles after this without a hitch.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
Also inspect the air duct connections for tightness.
I've had water in mine and the belt slipped. I removed the drain plug and the belt dried quickly and was under way.
Once home I removed the cover to inspect the grease and clean when needed.
If the top of the snorkels stayed above the water there must be a open connection. With the air box the lid seal may be broke.

This was another guy in deep water with everything sealed properly. He went many miles after this without a hitch.

How many miles did he go without his seat. :icon_ laughup:

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
He reached back and got while there:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Why do I always see the seats float off? Or do they take them off

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
They pop off quite easily on our machines. ive even heard of it happening when trailering. ive also read that people bend something metal and that solves it.

OP... the grizzlys have greased rollers, and other grease in the cvt... lots of other bikes do not... once you get water in there, the grease can be fouled, which could be causing your problems. id do a full cvt service on it... it will probably run better than it did before you had all these problems...

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Hey Ridgway is that L.E. in that hole you showed me at Kane's Creek past the ramps? Sure does look like Moab.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Hey Ridgway is that L.E. in that hole you showed me at Kane's Creek past the ramps? Sure does look like Moab.
It was, past the ramp (remember one is now gone :), up the creek where the big rock has now fallen to fill the hole.
That was Con, one of L.E. posse. That's L.E. on the other side waiting for Con to cross.

I had been to Moab several times, and when those guys unloaded with snorkeled grizzlys I figured that was something they needed back home.
I never knew the snorkels were needed to ride the high deserts of Western America, but I guess I wasn't looking in all the right places.
There's a lot more to that day for later.

Reactions: wgc

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
There is a lot of lifting pressure from the seat trying to float, so it doesn't take much of a bump to knock it lose.
That hole had a steep angle of the bottom from right to left. L.E. measured the bottom with a stick and was able to make it across on the right side tires only, with the lefts floating.

This was from two plus years ago, so L.E. is not as tall today,
but I took this to show the water line on the stick.

Over the next year before wgc and I met there to ride, a very large rock fell off the cliff and blocked the entire creek bed width.
Anyway, here is L.E.'s crossing,

Once again the seat is off. I figure it is like pulling up hard enough to pop the latch. I don't have experience with it but know what other have said. Around here, water that deep is moving so fast we stay out.....

Reactions: wgc

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Thanks Jim- I remember the spot (how could I forget) and the story you told and then as soon as I seen the photo I was pretty sure that was it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts