Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Grizzly 700 SE bone stock, I have 27” Zilla’s on 14” MSI rims, I only ride on grass and dirt roads in the summer, snow and frozen lakes in the winter. I prefer a quality ride vs peak performance...

From what I’ve read online, 7 psi seems like the norm? Would like real world experience feedback if possible. Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
For your uses and wants, run the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure. It should be written right on a tag on the fender.
You don't need or want higher tire pressures for your uses.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
I agree with dezz.

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Carry a good quality low pressure tire gauge and an air compressor with you on the next ride and adjust the pressure to what works for you. Some people like more or less pressure depending on many factors.

Reactions: Ridgway81432

·
Registered
39 Posts
Carry a good quality low pressure tire gauge and an air compressor with you on the next ride and adjust the pressure to what works for you. Some people like more or less pressure depending on many factors.

After 1 ride playing with PSI and stock shock settings I settled on 4 PSI all around and full soft on the shocks (I'd go softer but............)
26x9 R12 and 26x11 R12 Blackwater EVOs (MUCH better tire than stock!!)

Reactions: jvictory1974

·
Premium Member
10,629 Posts
For your stated conditions and desire, zero air pressure would work. Jack each tire off the ground and let the pressure equalize to the atmosphere.
There is still air in the tire to keep the wheel off the ground slightly in grass of snow, but if your grizz finds a rock in the grass you'll know.
With zero air pressure in the tire, your grizz will steer like driving on slick shit but for the best quality (comfy) ride give it a try.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I would caution against -0- pressure. Although my Executioners will work fine on -0-, they will break the bead and dismount from the wheel. I discovered I needed a minimum to keep the bead seal intact.

My sticker say's 4 (which is for stock tires NOT ZILLAS like you !) but even at that pressure my tires will UN-mount from the rim. If that happens when you are in a fast corner, it could be dangerous.

I experimented with different air pressures and settled on 7 or 8.

Considering all the variables, I think experimenting with different pressures would be my best advice.

Footnote: BEADLOCKS would change everything.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I have the 27's and am running at 7 psi with no problems. If rock climbing I will air down to probably 3 or 4. I ride dirt, mud, gravel usually

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Nothing less than 5 psi... just me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the feedback, gonna start at 7 PSI

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I appreciate the feedback, gonna start at 7 PSI
You stated you preferred a good ride quality. Running at 7 psi will not get you that. Your tires will be very hard at 7 psi.
I would start at 4 to 5 psi. Actually I run my 30" Zilla's at that psi. Always have. Anymore than than and the tire balloons too much. Leads to a stiff ride and wearing of the center of the tire only.

Reactions: bill74sweetman

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
6psi to start

Maybe it's a mental thing as I'm used to car and boat trailer tire pressures being so much higher, but I lowered the psi down to 6 and that seemed like too much, I could push my finger into the tire about 1/2 inch...i'm just scared of rolling the tire off the rim in a tight turn...

Should the front tires be a little higher psi than the rears?

Reactions: danngerous667

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,517 Posts
Maybe it's a mental thing as I'm used to car and boat trailer tire pressures being so much higher, but I lowered the psi down to 6 and that seemed like too much, I could push my finger into the tire about 1/2 inch...i'm just scared of rolling the tire off the rim in a tight turn...

Should the front tires be a little higher psi than the rears?
Tire psi is really a personal preference until it becomes dangerous. Try what these guys suggest and if you don’t like it, adjust whichever direction you want to. I’ve run as low as 3.5 in my Bighorns. I didn’t care for it as I got a lot of tire flex when cornering. I’ve pretty well settled on 4.5 to 5 all the way around. Also, those electric pumps are great until they don’t work for some reason. I carry an old bike tire pump in my trunk. Low tech but it always works.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
Tire psi is really a personal preference until it becomes dangerous. Try what these guys suggest and if you don’t like it, adjust whichever direction you want to. I’ve run as low as 3.5 in my Bighorns. I didn’t care for it as I got a lot of tire flex when cornering. I’ve pretty well settled on 4.5 to 5 all the way around. Also, those electric pumps are great until they don’t work for some reason. I carry an old bike tire pump in my trunk. Low tech but it always works.

Well heck what an idea.....never thought of my old bike pump; hopefully leaving Monday for some remote turkey hunting that has some bad roads..... the things I learn on this forum. Thanks, J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts