Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, bought my first grizzly the other week a 2000 600. Did a lot of work so far. But I just can’t get past this hi pitch whining noise. This is obviously not normal. Anyone know what it is and how to fix it? Thanks for any advice!
Here is the link to the YT video...
2000 grizzly 600 whining

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Def sounds like the cvt ? Have u checked or cleaned the cvt?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Not sure if the 600 has a engine break but maybe oneway bearing that is common thing also

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I've never owned a 600, but it sounds like the primary sheave support bearing that is in your cvt cover.

Attachments

Reactions: reogem

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
@JungleJake ...does it whine like that in park or neutral?
I agree with @Vincent on the support bearing especially if it does in park or neutral.

Reactions: mainegrizz660

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
Yes it does it in park and neutral.
I'd check out that bearing first. It may only need grease.
There are a couple other possibilities on the pull start side of the engine that could be making that noise. Check that bearing first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd check out that bearing first. It may only need grease.
There are a couple other possibilities on the pull start side of the engine that could be making that noise. Check that bearing first.
When I take the cover off it doesn’t make the noise. How do I check that bearing to see if it’s toast?
Also, the primary is pretty pitted. Is that gonna be an issue?

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
Did the end of the shaft have grease on it? Is it discolored or look worn. Is the bearing dry?
Removing the case with the bearing seems to prove that the bearing is the issue. It is possible that it may only need grease.
The pitted sheaves are somewhat common if the machine is ridden in sandy dusty areas.
You could hand sand it some. Hand sanding won't get rid of the pit but will help preserve the belt. Good 600 sheaves are available online cheap. You could send them out to be machined.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Replace the bearing with a new oem Yamaha and good quality grease.

X2 on what Reogem said. Sand down your primary sheave surface with some 500-600 grit is your best bet.

What condition are your weights in?

Reactions: reogem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replace the bearing with a new oem Yamaha and good quality grease.

X2 on what Reogem said. Sand down your primary sheave surface with some 500-600 grit is your best bet.

What condition are your weights in?
Weights look good. Greased everything, including that support bearing in the cover. Sanded the sheaves and reassembled. ll good now, no more turbo whistle :)

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
10¢ worth of grease! Nice.

Reactions: JungleJake
1 - 13 of 13 Posts