Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... looking for tool kit recommendations above the normal hand tools and plug kits. Anyone carry a scissor jack on their bikes? How many carry cv joint boot repair kits? Just curious on what strange things have happened to make folks carry certain things on their quads. Let’s hear some stories!

Cheers,

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Registered
800 Posts
Not really a story behind it. Just the fact that it makes a good addition if you don't have it. A small hand held fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gaffa tape a big roll of it lol a thousand and one use's' patch's quads AND human's....1st aid kit is also a must i reckon. ;-)

Reactions: mainehunter

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
An addition to the med kit..... I carry a tourniquet or two. A serious femoral bleed takes two. They are a life saver but got a bad rep back in the day.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So many years ago while living in the mountains of Breckenridge my wife and I had a new Polaris 850XP. I had compiled a list of items that went in our OGIO bags as a sort of "Survival List". Thought it may be helpful and a source of suggestions. I'm not saying this list is the "perfect list" or that all these items are a necessity. Just simply sharing.

ATV SURVIVAL ITEMS

FIRST AID KIT
AMERICAN RED CROSS CPR MASK
NITRILE GLOVES
ICE PACKS
BIO-WIPE TOILET PAPER
SNAKE BITE KIT
INSECT BITE KIT
BUG SPRAY
WATER PURIFICATION TABLETS
HEATWORKS HAND WARMERS
NOTEPAD / PENCIL
STORMPROOF MATCHES
DUCK TAPE
ELECTRICAL TAPE
WHISTLE
LARGE ZIP-LOK BAGS
KLEAN WATER BOTTLE 40OZ
UTILITY ROPE 50 FEET
ALUMINUM CANTEEN
TUSK TIRE REPAIR
CABELA’S TIRE REPAIR KIT
SLIME TIRE SEALANT
SLIME POWER SPORT SMART SPAIR KIT
TIRE GUAGE
WARN STRAP AND D-RINGS
IRON ROCK OFF ROAD TREE SAVER 3”X6’
MOTOROLA TALKABOUTS
ROK STRAPS
REI MINI COMPASS
SILVA COMPASS
GREASE MONKY WIPES
PLASTIC TROWEL
REI TRAVEL DOWN PILLOW
STREAMLIGHT ARGO HP HEADLAMP
EXATO BLADE
BUSHNELL BINOCULARS
LIGHT MY FIRE SWEDISH FIRESTEEL
MAXPEDITION TAC-LINKS
HEAVY DUTY TARP 8X10
ALUMINUM FOIL
POCKET CHAINSAW IN A CAN
AXE
RAIN GEAR
PAPER TOWEL
SEWING KIT — POCKET SIZE
SHARPENING STONE
EXTRA BATTERIES
LEATHERMAN SUPERTOOL
LEATHERMAN CHARGE TOOL
BROWNING MUTI-BLADE KNIFE
RAT CUTLERY now E.S.E.E. , RC-3 TAN/TAN, IZULA TAN, RC-4 ORANGE/OD, IZULA OD

·
Registered
311 Posts
As far as tools go:
==============================
#2 Phillips and a straight screwdriver
Open-box end wrenches = 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 7/16", 1/2" plus another one that matches the nut on the ball joint ends
Sockets = 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, 5/8 Spark Plug
3/8" drive ratchet and 6" extension
Side cutters
small channel lock pliers
Utility knife (with spare blades)
Spare spark plug
roughly 5 feet or so of 14ga wire
Tire plug kit
small air compressor
Bag of zip-ties
Electrical tape

Towing accessories:
20' strap
Couple of Shackles
Receiver shackle hitch & hitch pin
Snatch block

Safety Stuff:
Survival knife
Small waterproof led flashlight
50-100 feet of paracord
Fire starter
Foil space blanket
Ziploc bags
Medical kit

Convenience stuff:
Beef Jerky
Gatorade
Toilet paper or paper towels
Light Jacket
Beef Jerky
Nut snacks
Water
some kind of wet wipes
Beef Jerky
towel of some sorts

Note, I like using the SealLine dry bags to put the stuff you want to stay dry in, even if it gets submerged your gear stays dry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great feedback folks! A good med kit is a must. I’ve seen some ugly burns on multi day camping trips so I try to pack for that also. Floating the main salmon river in Idaho on day 2 of 5 days in the middle of nowhere one of the boat guides got burnt severely. We were doing hot saunas on the river bank. Great for warming up after 8 hours in the rain in the early spring. (Put rocks in a fire pit and get them smoking hot, then put them under a tent frame with a tarp over it and throw water on.) You can see where this is going. One of the guys carrying the bucket with rocks fell and landed on them burning his side and under his arm with 2nd deg burns. Ouch! Had to scrub his skin down and he had to wait 3 more days to get off the river to get scrubbed again with a wire brush. Nick was in pain but toughed it out. Couldn’t oar the boat obviously but was given an extra supply of whisky to ease the pain. Having some high potency pain pills in an emergency can help too. Seen a spiral fractured leg in a motor cross accident. Luckily is was close to a road where an ambulance could get to. Had to stabilize his leg ang put his wallet in his mouth while the idiot emt’s put an air cast on his leg and stretched everything out. Can’t believe he didn’t pass out. It was ugly. Having a life flight annual membership is a good idea also. Check your area to see what available. Ours out here are typically $50 annually and would save the expense of being air ambulanced out on a helicopter or airplane.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
My daily carry

Phone charger
Lighter
Hammer
12v Air compressor
Patch kit
Socket set
Wrench set
Multi tool
Pliers
Tow strap 2”x20’
Tree saver 3”x 8’
Snatch block and Clovis hook
Rag
Screwdriver multi-tip
Zip ties
Duct tape
Bailing wire
Vice Grip
First Aid kit
Extra Gloves
Cinch straps 2 - 1”x8’
Utility knife
Rechargeable LED light

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would consider a scissor jack on a UTV but not a quad. I can't even think of a reason to have one really.

I do always have a set of metric wrenches, plug socket,small socket set, a good knife, zip ties, tape, small first aid kit, tow rope, shackle, 12v air compressor, tire plugs, leatherman and a multi bit screwdriver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
usually depends on the trip, I always have a small BLS kit, and a BadLands pack with items to spend the night or hike out. In addition always on the quad is tree saver, tow strap, pulley, boys axe and a come-a-long (there are times going forward is not a good option). Some of my trips are pretty remote and I gear up accordingly.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Lots of good ideas above and I always carry a couple of extra valve stems also.

Reactions: Blklab

·
Registered
40 Posts
It depends on where I'm going and with what purpose.
Recently We were a bunch going 160 km-ish (each way) to a nearby city, via snowmobile-trails to pick up a 2018 Grizzly 700 SE, that a friend had bought and the fjord and ground is frozen solid, so we had to go by semi-packed snowmobile trails. (There are no roads between cities in Greenland). It was between -18 and -30 C as we rode. 5 hours and 6 hours rides, respectively over a weekend.
Besides the basic tools, I had a small Slime 12V tire inflator, and since one of my buddies' Can Am's Blackwater EVO tire got a leak at the bead, we used it a few times.
I also brought a First Aid Kit, and a 'hole-in-tire-repair-kit' as shown on the attached picture. Luckily we didn't had the use for the two last mentioned items. And finally a 25L gas can strapped down on the front rack with my ratchet-straps. Worked like a charm.
My Kimpex Rear Cargo Boxx was full of mentioned items, besides clothes, Stanley thermos, biscuits, toiletry items and so on.

/Kasper

Attachments

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Only one thing . . . .

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
A six hundred acre ride park might be simple as a pull strap, but a all day forty miles from the truck involves a different level of preparedness. Also, new riders, there are safety in numbers. Try to join some ATV clubs and do slow moving group rides. Allow your skills to progress, be safe and enjoy your hobby.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have:
Tire plug kit( don't have an air compressor but I will)
Tree saver
100' rope
Snatch block (winch pulley)
Shackles
Shovel
Water
Something to eat
Hot pads
Spare gloves
5L of gas
flashlights
Cell phone(of course)
And my favorite...my homemade winch anchor made of a round shovel and spare tubing.... You know, when your stuck in the middle of nowhere...no tree or buddy to tie on....I recommend this to everyone. And yes, it works in the snow too.

Envoyé de mon BV6000 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have a lot of the same stuff as everybody has listed but now I will be adding a few things after reading this post. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! !!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts