Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out in the yard doing some work and go to start it and it pops up a 12 on the dash and won't crank. So I did my research and have found what it means, crank shaft positioning sensor. But, also found this video on YouTube claiming it's the starter relay next to the battery. Well, between the 2 the starter relay is only 47 bucks, the other is a couple hundred! Anybody got any new info on this?

I pulled the relay and plugged it back in, and it started a few times, but then went back to saying the error code and not starting.

Here is the video.

Any extra help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Hey...NCMUDMAN..
The code 12 can be confusing.
Since your Grizz started a couple time I would agree with the video.
First check that all the connections are clean and tight.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol yeah the more I researched it the more confusing it was becoming to me!!

Another thing is every time I hit the start button I hear a small pop coming from the relay. I don't always remember hearing it, and here lately I've been hearing it pop, and a slight delay in it actually cranking up. I checked a few connections and all seem fine, but I know there are a few more to check. But I'm with you, since I got it to crank back up I'm hoping it's this relay. Called my local shop and the guy I talked to wasn't really knowledgeable on it. Told h I wanted to order the relay and he wasn't sure that was the problem. Their price was 7 bucks higher than I could find online, and they will have it Friday. Online shipping would take til next week. Hopefully I'll find out more Friday if AMD when the part comes in!

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
Completely agree with reogem. When I had my no start condition I was getting a code 12 and it was not the sensor, it was my battery that had gone bad. I was reluctant to believe it was the battery and finally brought it in for load testing which proved it was bad.

Not saying this is what is happening for you but wanted to add to what reogem posted that code 12 can be confusing. I've read code 12 really means that the crank shaft positioning sensor is not providing the correct voltage back which could mean a crank shaft positioning issue but also an electrical issue because correct voltage is not present.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow funny that a bad battery would throw that code! You'd think it would do like any other low battery in a vehicle and just not start! Lol. I do have the original Battery still, so I'll keep that in mind as a possibility.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I finally have an update...

The guy in the video was correct!!!! At least for my problem! Starter relay replaced today and she fires right up!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks for the update, it's nice to know what fixed for future reference

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Good to hear you got it going. Now you need to get out on the trails and make some new videos!

Reactions: NCMUDMAN

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks!!

While at the dealer getting I was surprised to see this good looking YXZ there!! Salesman came out while we were looking at it asking how he could help us ( I had the Grizzly with me so I could install the part there just in case it didn't work I could get them to look at it....) well when he asked how he could help us, I said yeah I'm here to trade that Grizzly in on this! He said come on in and we'll hook you up!! Lol

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
I have replaced a few of those. Don't remember getting a code though. Glad your machine is running.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Can a weak battery cause the relay to fail?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Can a weak battery cause the relay to fail?
Red rocket mentioned that in an above post, and I've also read a couple other people saying that too. The starter relay is a little cheaper than a battery so I was happy for that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts