Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my Kenda Bear Claws HTR's on my 2014 Grizz 700 (it only has 125 miles! I bought it 2 weeks ago and It is like brand new!) 26 x 9x12 Front & 26 x11x12 Rear.
I have not rode it yet, however, what shim do yo all think I will need in the primary if any?
1mm 1.5mm or 2mm?
I did do a top speed run with the junk stock tires and it went 67mph! This was on a dirt road.

HDHP

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Try it as is first. you mite be fine as is.....

Not many managed 2 mm shim and maintained safe cam plate engagement. 1 or 1.5 mm would be best. I have read some who did 1.7 mm without issues

Reactions: hdhp

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Generally, 1.7 mm's is the max a 700 will accept with the grease cover still used. The cover screws rub the cage on most 700's. I suggest riding it a few times to learn how she feels, then add max shim to feel the difference.
Then add a COOP machined sheave with some shim for the best.
If doing the best, plan on a heavier secondary spring along the way.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well on my wife’s kodiak 700 I installed 1.2 mm shim with 26 inch classic k299 bear claws with a purple spring and she loves it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well on my wife’s kodiak 700 I installed 1.2 mm shim with 26 inch classic k299 bear claws with a purple spring and she loves it.
Those K299 are a lot lighter then the HTR's. But we will see... Also with the stock tires and oem clutch I am able to ride a wheelie in H sitting on the seat for as long as I want! I really don't want to change that. But like I said, I will ride it like it is and then make some changes.... Thanks again!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Those K299 are a lot lighter then the HTR's. But we will see... Also with the stock tires and oem clutch I am able to ride a wheelie in H sitting on the seat for as long as I want! I really don't want to change that. But like I said, I will ride it like it is and then make some changes.... Thanks again!!
Actually their not , your htr’s are 23.5 and 31 pounds . The k299’s on the wife’s are 21 and 29 so only a few pounds difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well in terms of Rotating Mass the HTR's r 9 lbs heavier than the K299's. Coming from a Racing background that is a lot!! Just sayin!

HDHP

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
I run the HTR's and tire size that you have on my 16 Griz, and there is a big difference in size compared to the stock 26's that mine came with even though the HTR's are 26's also, you will find your machine sluggish and won't be able to wheelie as easy in high compared to your stock tires, you will need the max shims to bring it back to the stock feeling you had, I have coops machined sheave with .5mm shim and the purple secondary spring and won't wheelie like you said your Griz will do, the HTR's are great trail tire's and wear well, they are a 8 ply radial so they ride a bit rougher but have great puncture resistance, I have over 6000 km's and are not yet half worn and no flats.

Reactions: colvin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I chose them cuz I had them on my 2015 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 Awesome tire!! I also had a 2017 YXZ100R that I raced and It was hard to beat the stock Bighorns for weight and performance. You had to steer that thing with your right foot on a Short Course /MX track lol
I also owned a 2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2 R Spec Those had some good tires on it too but I really did not drive it a whole lot so I sold it!
So here I am with the Grizz!

HDHP

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have 26" reptiles on my Kodiak, and with the purple spring, machined sheave & grizzly weights, in hi, it will wheelie my 300lb + ass as far as I want to go, and in low, I can't keep the fronts on the ground if I pin the throttle from a dead stop, even leaning over the handle bars, it will still pick the wheels and go.
So I don't think you'll have much issue with the htrs. Purple, spring, 1.5mm shim max or do 0.5mm and a machined sheave.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just installed my Kenda Bear Claws HTR's on my 2014 Grizz 700 (it only has 125 miles! I bought it 2 weeks ago and It is like brand new!) 26 x 9x12 Front & 26 x11x12 Rear.
I have not rode it yet, however, what shim do yo all think I will need in the primary if any?
1mm 1.5mm or 2mm?
I did do a top speed run with the junk stock tires and it went 67mph! This was on a dirt road.

HDHP
1.5mm shim and a purple spring. Really woke my 700 up after putting on some 27" HTRs.

Reactions: hdhp

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have 1.5mm on my 686 Kodiak with 20g Grizzly weights (stock 14' weights) and really woke mine up. I have heavy 27' Reptiles and the 1.5mm gave me high range wheelies back, still have to "work it" to wheelie though in High. It DOES cut 5-6mph off your top end if that important to you.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should get my Purple spring by this Wednesday! So I will do the install shortly after! What size sockets will I need to remove the Primary and Secondary?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I should get my Purple spring by this Wednesday! So I will do the install shortly after! What size sockets will I need to remove the Primary and Secondary?
22mm socket for primary and secondary...

45 mm or 1 13/16" for the secondary spring nut.

Using your atv wheel as a spring compressor works excellent...

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
1.5 and purple spring on my 2015 700, Ridgway was turning the wrenches while I held the light and would not let me go with 1.0, very pleased with the setup.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
:)
You still remember that shim thing, but you wouldn't let me run that washed out draw, so we're even.
:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the 1.5 mm shim and the EPI Purple spring is installed! I LIKE IT! It will wheelie whenever I want it to, standing or sitting!
A couple of things tho.
My stock spring is the same height as the EPI Purple spring. I thought that the purple would be a bit taller? I know that it is the stock spring because the paint marks are on it to check off that the nut was tightened during assembly.
Second I had two Shims or thin washers behind the 22 mm nut on the secondary clutch?? Any thoughts?

HDHP

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Well the 1.5 mm shim and the EPI Purple spring is installed! I LIKE IT! It will wheelie whenever I want it to, standing or sitting!
A couple of things tho.
My stock spring is the same height as the EPI Purple spring. I thought that the purple would be a bit taller? I know that it is the stock spring because the paint marks are on it to check off that the nut was tightened during assembly.
Second I had two Shims or thin washers behind the 22 mm nut on the secondary clutch?? Any thoughts?

HDHP
Glad your enjoying it!!! Clutch mods are fun

Why did you expect the epi spring would need to be taller then stock. ?

I have never seen two washers behind my secondary sheave nut on both grizzlies I've owned.... Interesting. That's something I've seen on all our Yamaha pro action snowmobiles..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts