Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hooking up winch through my blue sea fuse block and wondering what size fuse to use. Shop hooked up winch when I Bought new directly through battery. So no fuse by the looks of it. So what should I use, it's vantage 3000.

·
Registered
64 Posts
if you mean the small wire that is commonly attached to a switched source to enable the winch, then 5-10 amps should be more than adequate, on the other hand if you are talking about the large (6-8 gauge) cables you probably don't want to wire them though your fuse block, you'd fry something. I couldn't find the current draw specs for the vantage 3000, but super winch lists 15 to 180 amp motor draw for their lt 3000 winch.

Reactions: jduff44

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
For the small switch wire a 5 amp fuse is more than enough. The + and - power wires should not be fused, and absolutely not wired through the Blue Sea fuse block.

Reactions: jduff44 and okbear

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I put a big ol' 200A inline breaker on the direct positive line for my winch. But I did it for ease of cutting power to the winch when working on stuff. Not for overload protection.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok sounds good I'll leave it as is. I just have a few things direct to battery and the bolt shafts on battery terminals are short and not many threads grabbing. Maybe I will try and get longer bolts for the battery terminals, thanks for all the replys

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ok sounds good I'll leave it as is. I just have a few things direct to battery and the bolt shafts on battery terminals are short and not many threads grabbing. Maybe I will try and get longer bolts for the battery terminals, thanks for all the replys
The terminals direct from battery on the winch selenoid are where I connected a couple of those things to, since those screws were longer. . And then fused them after that. Technically it's the same since it's direct connection there to battery and supplied by extra thick wire.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The terminals direct from battery on the winch selenoid are where I connected a couple of those things to, since those screws were longer. . And then fused them after that. Technically it's the same since it's direct connection there to battery and supplied by extra thick wire.
That's a great Idea! Thanks that's just what I needed.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts

If you have the Blue Sea fuse block, why do you have anything other than the winch and the fuse block running from the battery? Make sure you fuse the lead feeding the fuse block too.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PHP:
If you have the Blue Sea fuse block, why do you have anything other than the winch and the fuse block running from the battery? Make sure you fuse the lead feeding the fuse block too.
The only other thing I have to battery is a quick connect for battery tender, my blue sea fuse block in relayed with ignition so I can't run charger through there to charge when ignition is off, but with those three things I had very little threads left, too little for comfort is all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts