Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 17 grizz. curious to see feedback on what size plows everyone is running.. thinking about getting the tusk 60 .

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have been using a 54" for many years, and used a 48" for 10 years before that. Personally I would never go over 60" on an ATV unless you live where you don't really have much snow.

This is in the ditch by my driveway, the piles are 15' tall by spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have a 48 with an added wing and regret not getting a 54...and I have a Grizzly 450

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unless this year changes we wont get more then 6 to 8 inches at a time. Im thinking ill be ok with a 60

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the 60 inch with wings no regrets !

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
I went with a 60 then added metal wings for a better pass, chains on the rear and about 70 lbs of weight in the rear basket seems the best formula for my prior 660Griz, the new 17 should do just fine, it is good for about 3+ ft, more then that and by angling the blade can do more with a head of steam.
I tried chains on all wheels but it just dug in too much and high centered. The rear chains solved that and still carry a come-a-long just in case. I rather live in micro climate.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I worked for a landscaping company plowing sidewalks with an ATV for 4 seasons. 48" is what we used and would get into a pinch if we used anything bigger. If you're moving a lot of snow at a time, a 48" or 54" is all you're gonna want. Went home and used a 2008 Suzuki Eiger with a 48" plow and did the whole driveway and yard with it. Needless to say I've done a LOT of plowing with an ATV. Probably over 100 miles pushing a plow. 60" would be too big unless you are using a SxS or if you plow nothing but light powder or snow of less than an inch deep.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
3,662 Posts
...60" would be too big unless you are using a SxS or if you plow nothing but light powder or snow of less than an inch deep.
I do use a 60" blade (Kolpin Drifter poly blade front mount) on my Grizzly 700 but that is Colorado snow. Yes, it is lighter here than midwest or back east but we do get intense spring dumps where 24" - 30" + is not uncommon nearly every spring.

The Grizzly handles the 60" blade on CO storms well. When the blade is slightly angled it equals the width of my Grizzly but there is also no issue pushing with no blade angle. I would not go larger than a 60" blade and do need to utilize 4x4 for traction as I don't use extra weight or chains. I previously had a 52" blade and would not go back to it as it just seemed too small. I also find that the height on my 60" blade is much more preferred than the 52" blade height. Height is 21" versus the 52" height of 14" which makes a big difference in a lot less snow spilling over the top of the blade.

Upon a check, it appears Kolpin has discontinued the Drifter 60" blade. I doubt it had anything to do with reliability of the blade, probably weak sales on it. The 52" is still being sold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts