Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Respectfully, Anyone

I am looking at buying an 2008 700 Grizz, with 3800 miles .

Oil has been changed. No other services , driven about 6 times a year on a farm. It starts and runs .

I want to make it bullet proof for long rides, search and rescue etc.

Thoughts for things to check or test? I have no problem wrenching on anything, I just want to confirm the bones of the machine are good to start with.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd find out if the stator has been updated as the 07-08 stators would eventually burn out from lack of oil. Also ask if anybody has serviced the cvt system. If not, the primary weights could be flat spotted and needing replacement.
Bring along a jack, metric socket set, and impact to pull the wheels off. Jack up the machine and shake the tires to check for wheel bearing play, or play in either the ball joints or rear hub bushings. Remove the wheel and inspect the brakes for wear and movement. Also check for cracked cv boots. Drive the machine around the yard in in 4wd diff lock while turning sharp both left and right. If there are any axle issues, they will click. Finally make sure the wet clutch is in good shape by driving around in both high+low and letting off to engage the engine braking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent!! Truly appreciate your guidance, that’s exactly the information I needed.
thank you for taking the time
Respectfully
Brad

·
Registered
500 Posts
No problem Brad. Glad to help.

I'll add that i'd be hesitant with the lack of maintenance that you've described. By 3800 miles, the wheel bearings should have all been changed by now and the brake pads (usually get 15-2000 miles on pads). At 12 years old, the battery should have been replaced, etc. Its $100 here, $100 there and your time to do it.

If its a mud bike, is beaten up, or has had a lack of maintenance, theres a good chance you could run into a money pit.
Often times its best to up your budget a little bit to get yourself into something newer in better shape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!! For seriously taken the time .
I actually asked the seller about the type of use, older rider , no hard riding or towing, used it to drive on pastures never been wrecked

, I am positive no wheel bearings have been changed, only engine oil to my knowledge.
I am looking at paying less than 3,000 for it.
I will put it through the paces and see where I end up.
Thank you!
Appreciate your thoughts more than you know!
Be safe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts