Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all wondering what's the life expectancy others are getting out of Engines, Trans , Driveshaft, Clutch etc. I have only had mine a couple of months and i am starting to find i have opened the pandora's box my 09 unit has 889 hrs 20,000 ks or 12500 miles not sure how that compares to other operators i know in my skidsteer I average 1000 hrs a year so i understand what the machine is doing and what is wearing out but the grizzly has less than a year of my skidsteers use so disappointed at the amount of wear on the engine i know every operator is different and every machine is treated different the a mount of servicing and how hard there used after a recent tear down i find the cylinder,rings at there limits and need replacing the piston is good not sure how something made of alloy tearing up and down has out lasted a harden bore i also know now my cam chain and gears also need replacing i know once i pull it apart everything is going to be worn out and this is going to be a money pit in the US parts seem cheap but here in Australia our part are 3 time your price so to do a full rebuild would be more than the machine is worth so may look at just top end rebuild so whats the way to go STD or big bore hi comp or low than what brand of components and from where seem every search comes up US sites so US it is your input is welcome cheers.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
My 09 it at 12 000 kms and 550 hrs
Basically still drives and runs like new......

Reogem has 21 000 MILES (33 600 kms) on his 2013 Grizzly

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have you always used a synthetic oil? Generally you can get 2-4 times the lufe out of a motor with a good quality synthetic

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Have you always used a synthetic oil? Generally you can get 2-4 times the lufe out of a motor with a good quality synthetic
No I've never used synthetic in my Grizzly just plain 10w40 Yamalube. Amazingly It's easily starts in -18 F

I am an avid user and believer in using full synthetics but I don't believe that any engine will live 2 to 4 times longer because or it. That's complete BS.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
No I've never used synthetic in my Grizzly just plain 10w40 Yamalube. Amazingly It's easily starts in -18 F

I am an avid user and believer in using full synthetics but I don't believe that any engine will live 2 to 4 times longer because or it. That's complete BS.....
I agree. No way 2-4 times the life because of synthetic oil.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As of 11-05-2019: 10,000 Trouble free miles, 1062.6 Hours, 101 Trips/Rides mostly solo. Still runs/rides like new. Always made it back. Towed 1 Polaris Razor.
Replaced as needed just once: Brake pads, wheel bearings, tires, headlight bulbs, rear cv joints/boots (OEM), and rear knuckle bushings/bolts.
Replaced just in case: Spark plug, drive belt.
Replaced due to operator error: Front left wheel, lower A-arm, steering stem, left floor board, and right floor board.
Repaired: Lower front shock bushing (worn), headlight assembly push pins (replaced with screws and panel nuts), left and right foot peg assemblies (bent).

·
Registered
133 Posts
As of 11-05-2019: 10,000 Trouble free miles, 1062.6 Hours, 0-40 Yamalube Ester Based Full Synthetic snowmobile oil only since new.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Well we will have to agree to disagree on that fact. I stand by my statement of getting longer engine life from synthetic oil based on 20 years of racing motorcycles and seeing those types of results and from being a synthetic oil dealer for over 30 years and the lab tests results that also bear out my real world experience.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well we will have to agree to disagree on that fact. I stand by my statement of getting longer engine life from synthetic oil based on 20 years of racing motorcycles and seeing those types of results and from being a synthetic oil dealer for over 30 years and the lab tests results that also bear out my real world experience.
I won't argu with your experience and back ground, but these are not racing motorcycles. Their nature is fare from anything near that. They are 20 to 50 hp low output engines. They do not require full synthetic to survive normal, even aggressive use.

·
Registered
198 Posts
As a former racer of high performance street bikes myself, I can see the point you are making. But high-strung engines used in high output racing situations have a life span MUCH SHORTER than engines used in regular recreational machines. Stock bikes and engines mass-produced from the OEM factories are also being run at redline constantly, sometimes for 30 minutes or more at a time. The characteristics of synthetic oils present advantages here. For highly demanding situations, full synthetic oil certainly has its merits. It's all I've ever used in every machine I've owned. We also change the oil every 2-3 races or track days as wells. That equates to less than 500 miles between oil changes in most cases, so that might have something to do with a perceived longer life. 2-4 times engine life under normal conditions though? Come on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That’s what we consistently saw in cylinder heads, pistons, rings, valves etc over petroleum oils. So If a synthetic can do that in a hi-reving stressed motor wouldn’t simple logic dictate that it can be even move effective in any motor used normal for every day pleasure or work? I have consistently got over 300,000 miles out my cars & trucks using synthetic oils also. Who knows how much more I could get because I usually sell them at that point, but they are still very sound engines that do not use any oil at all and oil changes are always at 20,000 to 25,000 miles apart. Lets see a petroleum oil do that! I currently have a 2014 Fusion with 240,000 miles that has a 2.5L 4 cylinder that uses zero oil and has had only 9 oil changes since I started using AMSOIL 5W-30 full synthetic after break in at 10,000 miles. I will add not all synthetic oils are equal and most will not recommend a 25,000 oil change interval but AMSOIL does because it’s that good so if you have a hard time believing me try switching to AMSOIL. AMSOIL has spent decades perfecting their oils and and making sure they are the best and won’t put them to market until they are superior to others in very stringent lab testing and at the race track.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
That’s what we consistently saw in cylinder heads, pistons, rings, valves etc over petroleum oils. So If a synthetic can do that in a hi-reving stressed motor wouldn’t simple logic dictate that it can be even move effective in any motor used normal for every day pleasure or work? I have consistently got over 300,000 miles out my cars & trucks using synthetic oils also. Who knows how much more I could get because I usually sell them at that point, but they are still very sound engines that do not use any oil at all and oil changes are always at 20,000 to 25,000 miles apart. Lets see a petroleum oil do that! I currently have a 2014 Fusion with 240,000 miles that has a 2.5L 4 cylinder that uses zero oil and has had only 9 oil changes since I started using AMSOIL 5W-30 full synthetic after break in at 10,000 miles. I will add not all synthetic oils are equal and most will not recommend a 25,000 oil change interval but AMSOIL does because it’s that good so if you have a hard time believing me try switching to AMSOIL. AMSOIL has spent decades perfecting their oils and and making sure they are the best and won’t put them to market until they are superior to others in very stringent lab testing and at the race track.
This one's for you bud! ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
That's some good stuff right there!
Sure is,
but I don't think it's compatible with my wet clutch... Told the dealer this was to be used in my Grizzly....I think they may have made a mistake....

·
Premium Member
7,218 Posts
Here is a link to the Yamaha Oil Catalog
Seems they don't recommend the 0-40 syn snowmobile oil in anything other than snowmobiles. Also appears the 0-40 syn is not JASO approved.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sure is,
but I don't think it's compatible with my wet clutch... Told the dealer this was to be used in my Grizzly....I think they may have made a mistake....
I've been using the 0-40 Yamalube full synthetic snowmobile oil with out any issues since new for >10,000 miles now, as it was the only full synthetic stocked at the local dealership. I wouldn't worry if I was you, you can always switch back to a different oil/viscosity at your next oil change. As you can see in my signature I run heavy tires, and myself at >200 Lbs. The clutch has never had any issues so far.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/12/02/1954975/0/en/Yamaha-Introduces-Two-New-High-Performance-Full-Synthetic-Engine-Oils.html
I would have used 10-40 JASO MA2 Yamalube full synthetic if it was available at the time. Apparently it does exist but can't find it on the web or at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've been using the 0-40 Yamalube full synthetic snowmobile oil with out any issues since new for >10,000 miles now, as it was the only full synthetic stocked at the local dealership. I wouldn't worry if I was you, you can always switch back to a different oil/viscosity at your next oil change. As you can see in my signature I run heavy tires, and myself at >200 Lbs. The clutch has never had any issues so far.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/12/02/1954975/0/en/Yamaha-Introduces-Two-New-High-Performance-Full-Synthetic-Engine-Oils.html
I would have used 10-40 JASO MA2 Yamalube full synthetic if it was available at the time. Apparently it does exist but can't find it on the web or at the dealership.
You ve certainly proven 0w40 syn sled oil works well. 10 000 miles is a serious test of time

1 - 20 of 28 Posts