Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Even though I'm not planning on buying new tires till next fall, I simply can't help but research and figure out what I want now .

At this time one of my front rims has damage from the previous owner so I'm not sure if I will replace all four with ITP SS112 rims, or if I can find a good used 12x6" polished aluminum SE wheel.

As fare as tires I'm dead set on Bitbull Growlers BG 2.5s but hoping not to sacrifice my current performance with extra tire or wheel weight. The idea is to keep my little 550 lively and fun. So for this I felt I needed to document my current set up's weight, height, roll out and possible future options. You can thank Ridgeway 81432 for this obsessive data collection. Think I read one too many of his posts. Lol

-Fronts, Mudlite XTR
26x9 r12 stock 6" polished aluminum rims
33.5 lbs and 25.2" tall

-Rears,
26x11 r12 stock 7.5" polished aluminum rims
38 lbs and 25.4" tall

Also have 1" billet aluminum spacers all around.
I'm guessing they add about 2 lbs to each rim?

So total is aprox 151 lbs of rotating mass and 79.8" roll out.

Three combos I'm considering, all utilizing Pitbull Growler GB 2.5s

Utilizing my current 12" stock rims with spacers.
Not sure about rim weight but research seems to suggest 6lbs fronts 7lbs rears + spacers.

-25x8 R12, 23lbs & 25x10 R12, 32 lbs I'm guessing tire height is aprox 25.5"

Total rotating mass is 144lbs, and
Aprox 80.7" roll out

Again stock wheels and spacers but with larger tires
-26x9 R12, 29lbs & 26x11 R12 37lbs
Tire height I'm guessing is near 26.5

Total 166lbs of rolling mass, and Aprox 83.2" roll out.

-Now with 12" ITP SS112 rims with 26x9 tires on all four corners. Tires weight 29lbs each, research suggests rims weight is aprox 12lbs each.

Total rolling mass 164lbs, and aprox 83.2" roll out

P.S. Just to add more data to the mix, with my current 1.5 mm shim, my initial CVT ratio is 2.7: 1
Still considering possibly a Cooper45 machined sheave in the near future. Time will tell.

Opinions, criticisms or sharing of your own tire and wheel combo information welcomed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
This is a great thread. I’m looking for new tires for both my grizzlys and would love to buy growlers as well but I’m not sure the added weight is worth the loss in performance and fuel economy. I had a set of pitbull rockers on a another quad I owned in the past and I had to run them at a really low psi to get a decent ride and they were extremely heavy. They had awesome grip but definitely hurt the power and ride of the machine.
I kinda hate having to mod the cvt to get the performance back lost from tire weight. But I kinda tend to leave things closer to stock to keep them as reliable as possible.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is a great thread. I’m looking for new tires for both my grizzlys and would love to buy growlers as well but I’m not sure the added weight is worth the loss in performance and fuel economy. I had a set of pitbull rockers on a another quad I owned in the past and I had to run them at a really low psi to get a decent ride and they were extremely heavy. They had awesome grip but definitely hurt the power and ride of the machine.
I kinda hate having to mod the cvt to get the performance back lost from tire weight. But I kinda tend to leave things closer to stock to keep them as reliable as possible.
Thanks,

I've never had the honour of enjoying my machine with light stock tires. Baught it with heavy ones already on it. Probably explains why I started doing clutch mods so early in my ownership of it.

My bike actually performance reasonably well since the clutch mods. Though, like you say, I certainly don't want to loose what I have by loading her up with even more weight. Hence why I'm considering my options carefully and even thinking running stock size tires. While back I checked out the specs Pitbull XOR Rockers and yes those are very heavy 8 ply tires! Thankfully the BG 2.5 are lighter 6 plys.

As fare as clutch mods go, I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I love trying out different mods and concepts. Hence why my classic car and snowmobile are also modified. Nothing stays stock very long in my garage.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I had a sportsman 850 and it was 70hp. I put 25.5 inch rockers on it and I couldn't believe the power loss, but also I was use to the light stock tires and could spin them at will. The rockers gripped so well it didn't break the tires loose nearly as well. I was running 2 PSI to get a decent ride but they were 14 inch tires. My choice would be the BG 2.5's as well because they're a 6 ply but the bg 2.5's in a 26 are heavier than a 25.5 rocker 8 ply. So I would think clutch mods on a 550 or 700 would be a must.

I weighed my 2017 stock aluminum wheels and tires the other night and wrote down the weights but don't have them with me. I also weighed my itp ss316's with 25 inch BH OG's off my other Grizz. Its not really an accurate weight reading for the OG's because they've got over 5K on them. But I'll try and post the weights later for comparison. I'm looking at the BH 3.0's but have found absolutely no reviews online about them. it makes me nervous being a guinea pig to try them. I've had great luck with all the maxxis tires. I've also looked at the terra cross and mudlite xtr.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Surprising how difficult it is to find consistent information on ITP SS212 wheel weight.
I've read 9, 10, or 12 lbs. Assuming 10 lbs
would mean this combination,

Pitbull Growler BG 2.5 26x9 R12 on all four corners, total weight of 156Lbs

It's also important to add that these weight numbers obviously don't represent the reality of the physics involved. Weight nearer to the center axis (wheel or spacers) will have less effect on the rotating inertia than the weight of the tire, witch is further away from the center axis.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Main reason I'm so interested in these tires in for better winter performance as I do alot of winter riding and as much I love my mudlite XTR they just
don't perform well enough. Pitbulls tires seem to have an excellent reputation for toughness, durability, and ample traction in almost any condition. Found this awsome video that really depicts what kind of winter performance I hope to have someday.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=134&v=6HdgftUJYi8

Reactions: RansomP

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I wanted to add some info. I weighed my stock 2017 Grizzly 700 wheels and tires. The wheels are the aluminum LE wheels.

Fronts weighed- 27lbs and rears weighed- 30lbs. The tires are the stock maxxis tires, fronts 26x8-12, rears 26x10-12. Height at about 5 psi is a hair under 25 inches.

I weighed my ITP SS316 wheels with 25 inch maxxis bighorns on the same scale. One note, the tires have roughly 5000 miles on them.

Fronts weighed- 30lbs, rears weighed- 34lbs. The wheels are 12x7 and the tires are 25x8-r12 front and 25x10-r12 rears. Height with 5 psi is 24 1/2 inches.

I totally agree with you about the great reviews on the pitbulls. I don't think i've ever heard anyone say they didn't like them. Only negative is weight.

Reactions: drollins

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to add some info. I weighed my stock 2017 Grizzly 700 wheels and tires. The wheels are the aluminum LE wheels.

Fronts weighed- 27lbs and rears weighed- 30lbs. The tires are the stock maxxis tires, fronts 26x8-12, rears 26x10-12. Height at about 5 psi is a hair under 25 inches.

I weighed my ITP SS316 wheels with 25 inch maxxis bighorns on the same scale. One note, the tires have roughly 5000 miles on them.

Fronts weighed- 30lbs, rears weighed- 34lbs. The wheels are 12x7 and the tires are 25x8-r12 front and 25x10-r12 rears. Height with 5 psi is 24 1/2 inches.

I totally agree with you about the great reviews on the pitbulls. I don't think i've ever heard anyone say they didn't like them. Only negative is weight.
Thank you for your participation and contributing such excellent information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts