Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 700 has 8000km on it and needs the wheel bearings replaced. I did the left front already but had a real hard time breaking the upper ball joint loose from the hub. If anyone has any ideas on how to do it better that would be great. I ended up buggering up the threads and had a hell of a time getting it back together as the ball joint was spinning, I ended up using a c-clamp to apply enough force to get the ball joint to stop turning. Anyway, before I tackle the other side I would like to find a better way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Use a two jaw puller on ball joints and tie rod ends. Comes apart effortlessly

Reactions: RDC

·
Registered
88 Posts
Use a hammer to hit on the knuckle in the ball joint location while trying to pull off the ball joint. Don't hit too hard as to not ruin the powdercoating. That's if you don't have a ball joint tool.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use a hammer to hit on the knuckle in the ball joint location while trying to pull off the ball joint. Don't hit too hard as to not ruin the powdercoating. That's if you don't have a ball joint tool.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I was using a hammer and striking down on the hub. Maybe I should have tapped the hub side on. Ended up breaking it loose with a pry bar. I'll have to look into getting a puller.

·
Registered
183 Posts
the easiest way IMO, use a little propane torch and heat up the knuckle portion of the hub just a little bit near where the threads of the ball joint rod comes out, then get a prybar in a decent spot, while prying on the ball joint/A-arm take a hammer and hit the knuckle and she should pop out pretty easy. most of the time i dont even use my torch or a pry bar, just from hitting the knuckle a few good times the ball joint rod should come right out from the hub.

alternatively there is a small ball joint separator tool you can get from harbor freight for like $20, it seems to work pretty decent

Reactions: nsgrizzly700
1 - 5 of 5 Posts