Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do wheel spacers help stability? What size is everyone running?

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
It gives it a wide stance many go from 1-2 inch and buy from xxbilletxx on eday

·
Registered
301 Posts
Precisely how much spacer are we talking about?

I have magnesium wheels on my machine. It expands the track width 125mm (5") on the rear and 75mm (3") on the front from the stock rims. The narrower front track is really nice as the machine now has over steer engineered into it as well as the lower centre of gravity.

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
I think they help quite a bit. I do a lot of off-camber riding and I would never go back to a stock width machine....no way! Plus, when you power-slide corners at speed, it stays planted, doesn't want to lift the inside tire.

With my wheels and tires, I'm 4" wider on the rear axle, 3" wider on the front. I'm just a hair under 50" wide on the rear, so I can still ride the 50" trails just fine.

I would never go back to stock.....love the handling!

If your trails don't have a width restriction, I'd go 1.5" spacers. Search on ebay for Grizzly spacers, you want the solid aluminum block type with the studs.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I put 1" spacers on my 550 with stock wheels, night and day difference in stability. With my 1" wider tires they are just at the edges of the plastics, no need for fender flares.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have have 1.5" spacers. I ended up at 51" wide in the rear with 28x11-14 Zillas on 5+3 wheels. The did add a lot of stability for me. I have noticed a few times that I'll get caught up on trees in tight trails though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm running 1" spacers with OEM wheels. I do mostly woods riding & didn't want it too wide. I do find it doesn't fit into ruts sometimes & wants to wander back & forth but it's liveable. Worth it for the stability IMO

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I run 1 inch in winter and 1.5 in summer and love them. I do notice a wobble with my 1 inch spacers around 27 - 33 kmhr. Goes away when removed or 1.5 put on. When mounting them hit all contacting surfaces with a wire brush and get nice and clean and smooth . Any dirt rust or debris will cause a shake. They are well worth their money

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well worth the money IMO. Did the 1" spacers and like previously stated night and day difference in stability and my ability to feel comfortable on the machine when riding hard or heavily loaded.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I run 1 1/2" spacers on my 09 550 with stock rims and love the gain of stability. World of difference. The best spacers people seem to love are from the seller xxbilletxx on ebay.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I'll chime in. I did 1" spacers only on my front wheels. Noticeable difference; great mod, especially for the amount of money.

My ITP wheels already made me wider than stock, so I noticed a little more mud but it's well worth it.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
after tires, they are my #1 favorite mod i did. i had them on my old honda, and swapped them over to the grizzly within an hour of having it. i had 1.5" spacers. now i have 1.5" spacers and the equivilent of another 3/4" per side with my aftermarket wheels. so i have 2.25" spacers.

i would go as wide as you can with the following in mind...
they will wear on your bearings slightly more. its not like twice as fast by any means. but the increased wear is part of the game.
they expose your cv boots. your hubs etc arent as tucked in there as they normally would be.
you might not fit on narrower trails. i havent had any issues, and i ride some tight PA trails.
you might not fit in truck beds/trailers.

beyond those worries... DO IT.

Reactions: 660MountainSlayer

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great guys. Thanks a lot! All of the above is what figured, just wanted to make sure. I think I'm gonna w/ 1.5".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have 1.5" spacers on the back and 1" on the front. Also have 216 (I think) ITP rims with 27" MEGA MAYHEM tires. Before I did this with stock wheels it was squirrely!!! Definitely keeps it more stable and it still fits in my truck box. Very cool mod!!! I had to put on fender flares though. Also engineered some mud flaps on the front so feet didn't' get wet. Made them out of old floor mats. GRIZZY'S RULE!!!:nana:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I checked out the seller listed above on Ebay.. $60 shipping.. REALLY ??? WTFrick !!!

He's outta his mind.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Welcome to CANADA

I looked all over and he is still the cheapest by the time they hit your door

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
But $60.. That's pure gouging!! I had a 2 foot long RC truck weighing 15lbs shipped from California for $34 . Surely 4 little wheels spacers should cost less than $25 and that's putting it high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I'm not disagreeing but they are still the cheapest I could find in canada. My dealer wanted 200 for 2 ... that more then a set of rims for 4 .. I won't say it's right or fair but it's how us Canadians get screwed

Send him an email and ask of that 60 bucks covers import charges and tax

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Go to "Super ATV". They r cheap there & good pieces.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I retract my previous statement, his prices have changed. Super atv is cheaper. But not by much

1 - 20 of 25 Posts