Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Yamaha engines made in Japan or where ? I know the atv"s are now made in the US but wondered where they get the engines . Thanks

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Are Yamaha engines made in Japan or where ? I know the atv"s are now made in the US but wondered where they get the engines . Thanks
Your question is too vague to be answered. It depends on what engine you are referring too. The new 708 is contracted to and built by Subaru for Yamaha. The older 700 (686) was built by Yamaha in-house, but at various plants around the world. This is the same for most of the rest of the line up......but not all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your question is too vague to be answered. It depends on what engine you are referring too. The new 708 is contracted to and built by Subaru for Yamaha. The older 700 (686) was built by Yamaha in-house, but at various plants around the world. This is the same for most of the rest of the line up......but not all.
there is nothing concrete in that thread that proves that that is true. I read the whole thing and it sounds like speculation to me

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Reactions: BDSNJ

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Nothing wrong with subaru, they make quality motors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nothing wrong with subaru, they make quality motors.
there is no proof that they make the 708 engine, just speculation at this point. I personally don't see why they would need Subaru when they are perfectly capable on their own. if it is true it was probably to save money in some way..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Maybe the 708 if made by Subaru won't blow a gasket like my Yamaha one did on my 2012 , time will tell . I had to install a new cover gasket to stop the oil leak . So far no leaks from the 708 .

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
there is nothing concrete in that thread that proves that that is true. I read the whole thing and it sounds like speculation to me
Read post 34 in that thread. No, it's not a direct answer from Yamaha but email them yourself and let us know of you get the same answer. That's the only way for you to get a "concrete" answer.

Outsourcing has a lot to do with a lot of things. Every manufacturer outsources, I wouldn't worry about it. For the most part there are companies that specialize in one thing and they build different ones to each manufacturers spec. It saves big corporations money in a lot of ways, but not necessarily because of lesser quality.

I wouldn't be worried about taking a 708 anywhere at this point, and I'll be very surprised if issues come up that would change my mind.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'v had no issues in 4000 miles on a 708 , I should get close to 10,000 next year so we will see how this thing holds up .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Read post 34 in that thread. No, it's not a direct answer from Yamaha but email them yourself and let us know of you get the same answer. That's the only way for you to get a "concrete" answer.

Outsourcing has a lot to do with a lot of things. Every manufacturer outsources, I wouldn't worry about it. For the most part there are companies that specialize in one thing and they build different ones to each manufacturers spec. It saves big corporations money in a lot of ways, but not necessarily because of lesser quality.

I wouldn't be worried about taking a 708 anywhere at this point, and I'll be very surprised if issues come up that would change my mind.
post no. 39 contradicts what post 34 says a bit.. either way even both of those posts are murky at best. id love to know if its true or just a rumor that got out of hand

1 - 13 of 13 Posts