Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
New to the forum and the Grizzly. I just picked up a 2011 Grizzly 450 EPS with 1200 miles and 560 hours. Whenever I buy a machine, the first thing I do is a complete fluid change, grease job and overall general maintenance. I just assume the prior owner(s) have done nothing. I've got (or they're on the way) all the correct fluids for the engine and differentials. I've been watching some Youtube videos (what did I ever do before the internet?) on how to do these fluid changes. Only 1 guy I've seen so far, apparently a Yamaha mechanic in New Zeeland, recommends anti-seize on the threaded parts. He's using copper paste. I've got permatex anti-seize, the grey stuff, but I'm happy to buy the copper paste if it's better. What do you guys (and of course gals) recommend? I'd rather do it right and spend a little more than 'it's good enough' and regret it later.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
farmall.dude
2011 Grizzly 4x4 EPS
Green, Stock as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use the same " copper " paste as the down under guy. Though most of mine has been used for automotive.
The stuff works great, have used it on auto brake jobs/rotor brackets...after having to use a " three foot " piece of pipe to break those bolts loose on a 92" Olds Cutlass rotor caliper years ago ! Since then a little dab a do ya.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You won't go wrong with pretty much any anti-seize compound.

The MUST apply location for anti-seize (IMO) is the spark plugs....everything else is much easier to deal with if it seizes up.

·
Premium Member
9,182 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
I haven't used anti-seize on the grizz (yet), I haven't over tighten a bolt to need it.
If I was to think of a reason to use it, it would be on the c.v.t. cover bolts, steel into aluminum that has a chemical reaction of the different metals when wet. If a bolt starts to be tough to remove I change the bolt.

·
Registered
711 Posts
On our aircraft we use anti-seize compounds because of the areas it is in. High corrosive areas, high heat areas, dissimilar metals....all these and others, cause bolts/nuts to seize, so we apply the compound to help prevent it when removing it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I’ll get some of the copper stuff, if I can find it locally. Or, for now I’ll use the permatex and order some for next maintenance. I really appreciate your advice!

·
Premium Member
703 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Silver stuff is just as good as the copper stuff, Been a heavy equipment mech for 30 years

Iv put this stuff on exhaust manifold and turvo bolts and 10 years later when removing just like the day i installed.

I use this shit on every bolt I touch bascically

·
Registered
549 Posts
just like that saying "i put that shit on everything" . I use it a lot , you only have to twist of a couple of bolts to make you realize how much easier it is to put some on everything when your putting shit back together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts