Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems the general consensus is that these things are the best upgrade anyone's ever put on their Griz. I'm having some back issues this Winter and I don't want to miss out on any riding opportunities this year due to my back. I'm trying to figure out how far down the Elka path I need to go and I'm torn as to how much squish technology I really need. I know the Stage 3's are the best "deal" as they are about $1300 and Stage 2's are only a $100 less but have rebound adjustment. What I'm asking here is for some rider input as to whether the extra $350 to go from Stage 1 to Stage 3 is worth it? Did you get adjustable rebound and never need to make an adjustment? Did anyone not get adjustable rebound and wish you did? Did you buy Stage 1's regret not getting a more adjustable shock?

I bought a Wolverine R-spec last Summer and that thing is like riding on a cloud compared to Griz. My 2012 shocks just plain SUCK and I only have about 2K miles of pretty easy riding on them! I bought some used stock shocks on Ebay from a 2010 Griz and the difference is night and day from my OE shocks.

I know this maybe isn't a question that can be answered for me. Just help me out with some testimonials so I feel better about dropping a ton of cash...

Sorta feels like a crack addict asking for justification from other crack addicts! :grin2: I know you're all THE BEST at helping people spend their money but I'm not going all the way to Stage 4's.

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
My Elkas are still only in my dreams. lol. I can tell you what I have gathered from others. Hammer has indicated that he is happy with his but wished his stage 1’s were more adjustable. Don’t know about Stage 2’s. Everybody seems happy with Stage 3’s and I have seen where some made adjustments to them from how they showed up at their door. The few I’ve seen with stage 4’s have indicated that it wasn’t really worth the upgrade. As you may be aware, I have been watching the Elka threads. lol. I’ll be getting stage 3’s unless somebody talks me into 4’s between now and then. So there’s my “no Elka experience whatsoever” take on the situation.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Elkas are still only in my dreams. lol. I can tell you what I have gathered from others. Hammer has indicated that he is happy with his but wished his stage 1’s were more adjustable. Don’t know about Stage 2’s. Everybody seems happy with Stage 3’s and I have seen where some made adjustments to them from how they showed up at their door. The few I’ve seen with stage 4’s have indicated that it wasn’t really worth the upgrade. As you may be aware, I have been watching the Elka threads. lol. I’ll be getting stage 3’s unless somebody talks me into 4’s between now and then. So there’s my “no Elka experience whatsoever” take on the situation.
I figured you'd chime in here (was hoping so actually)! I have been right there with you on all the watching. Mine are still in my dreams too, but I'm hopeful that this is the year. Thanks for your insight.

Reactions: Madkawi750

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my head around 1300 for shocks also , but the dream is alive still. I've even saved up the money and still can't pull the trigger.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still trying to wrap my head around 1300 for shocks also , but the dream is alive still. I've even saved up the money and still can't pull the trigger.
We are walking in the same shoes brother...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Here’s what I was told by an old boss of mine, if you don’t buy it you will never have it, things will always work out somehow! I have always found this to be a true if your motivated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Here’s what I was told by an old boss of mine, if you don’t buy it you will never have it, things will always work out somehow! I have always found this to be a true if your motivated.
Thanks for the motivational words but have you met my wife LOL

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Get the stage 3. I have had elkas on my 2011 and now on my 2018. They make a world of difference

·
Registered
440 Posts
I worry the exhaust temps are so high on my 2016 that it would render any shock with a reservoir useless on the Left rear. Any other opinions on that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just installed Stage 4 all the way around, but really wish I would of waited because now the have the Stage 6 on special as a new release on their site just for the first week for half off! Making them less than the stage 3 just for now!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I worry the exhaust temps are so high on my 2016 that it would render any shock with a reservoir useless on the Left rear. Any other opinions on that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I installed a Power Commander on my Wolverine. No more exhaust glow. Adding fuel is the only remedy for the lean condition.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I just installed Stage 4 all the way around, but really wish I would of waited because now the have the Stage 6 on special as a new release on their site just for the first week for half off! Making them less than the stage 3 just for now!
Google search has no info of elka releasing a stage6. Couldn’t find it on elka website either. Can you post your source please?

Reactions: RDC and Madkawi750

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It’s simple, just buy 2 sets of stage 3 you’ll have stage 6! LOL!

Reactions: RDC and PA. GRIZZLY

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
Just Do It... your body will thank you, your griz will thank you, your face will thank you, (your frown will be turned upside down) and your riding buddies will be jealous...unless they already have some. >:)>:)>:)

Reactions: Hammerhead

·
Registered
725 Posts
OEM Elkas....I can't afford the new style....LOL

·
Just wanna ride!!
5,518 Posts
Google search has no info of elka releasing a stage6. Couldn’t find it on elka website either. Can you post your source please?
Perhaps he meant stage 5. If so, I don’t know where he’s finding his pricing. You’re looking north of 3 grand for stage 5’s front and rear according to elka’s site

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I have the Stage 3's. They offered rebound for the front for a little more and I didn't bite, but I wish I did. I think that would now be the Stage 4's. I recall a few people saying Stage 2 wasn't worth it. I'll do Stage 4 on my next Grizz. It's such a huge difference the first time you hit the trail!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was just messing with everyone okbear! Figured All the ones still wishing and planning on getting elkas, I would make them go to their site again!!
Sorry cruel joke!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Stage 3s here and happy with them!

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
I can't find any info on the stage6 either , definitely interested in a half price set

1 - 20 of 22 Posts