Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 660. I went riding this weekend, and about halfway through the day, the battery starting making a high pitch noise. Along with that, a stench arose and my buddy said that was the battery. The battery is only a few months old. Are those symptoms of overcharging?

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts
Did you look at it at the end of the ride to see boiling or leaking acid/gases?
I haven't heard of this happening on a 660, but excessive volts/amps can cause a lot of heat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way I diagnosed the noise was the battery was by pressing on the top. When I did it hushed until I released. I did not see any liquids or gasses escaping, but it did create an odor. At one point in our time there I stopped at the bike wash station and flooded the battery compartment with water. It quit for a few minutes after. (That probably wasn't the wisest idea.) I will look up how to test the voltage regulator and test it.

·
Premium Member
10,663 Posts
I suggest a factory service manual for all the numbers.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
Hmmm....if you are smelling something from the battery, hydrogen is rather explosive along with a fire hazard.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured the smell was hydrogen. Anytime we would stop and it was wining, I would pull the seat to help it vent.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Check your voltage regulator seems to be over charging.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
X2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I decided to break out the Voltmeter and remove the regulator. I have confirmed that the black on the plug goes to battery negative, and the red wire on the plug goes to the positive. I put the voltmeter to diode test, put the meter negative where the negative wire (off the harness) would go and get open circuits. If I put the meter positive to the regulator I get about .510. The same occurs with the positive side. Does this mean the regulator is bad? The last time I tested one I would get open circuit on one pin (this was a different regulator on a different bike).

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
The output voltage of the regulator should be 14 volts around 4-5000 rpm's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts