Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just did the 2007 to 2009 crank case cover upgrade so that the stator stop failing. I changed all parts recommended in the various thread in this forum. I got the water pump and the new parts installed in the new crank case at a shop before installing it. I obviously changed the oil, coolant, etc. in the process. Since the job, I now have white bubbles on the oil stick.

I figured the shop did not do a good job when swapping the water pump and installing the oil seal and that coolant is now mixing with oil so I brought the whole bike to the shop and was told not to worry, that its not colant and that it in facts happen very often after an oil change.

I never seen white bubbles on the oil stick on any of my machines so far... Have you?

·
Registered
49 Posts
What does the oil on the end of the stick look like? If it looks normal, go run it. If the oil in the sump is creamy then there's a problem.

Creamy oil just under the cap is pretty common in almost any motor. It's just residual condensation. Running the motor will heat it up and cook it off.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi all,

I just did the 2007 to 2009 crank case cover upgrade so that the stator stop failing. I changed all parts recommended in the various thread in this forum. I got the water pump and the new parts installed in the new crank case at a shop before installing it. I obviously changed the oil, coolant, etc. in the process. Since the job, I now have white bubbles on the oil stick.

I figured the shop did not do a good job when swapping the water pump and installing the oil seal and that coolant is now mixing with oil so I brought the whole bike to the shop and was told not to worry, that its not colant and that it in facts happen very often after an oil change.
View attachment 100232

I never seen white bubbles on the oil stick on any of my machines so far... Have you?
Definitely looks like water contamination in your oil.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Unless your always running your bike in deep water all the time there should not be any water mixing and showing on the dip stick, if my dipstick looked like that after I changed the oil when I pulled it out I would be just freaking, if antifreeze is mixing with your oil your water pump is not sealing like you said, I have changed my oil many times and run my Griz in very humid and crazy temp swings and never experienced condensation or mixing on my dipstick like is showing on yours, personally I think that shop is feeding you a line, but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does the oil on the end of the stick look like? If it looks normal, go run it. If the oil in the sump is creamy then there's a problem.

Creamy oil just under the cap is pretty common in almost any motor. It's just residual condensation. Running the motor will heat it up and cook it off.
I have done perhaps 1 hour of driving around the roads. Oil at the bottom looks good, not creamy anyways, some light white on the stick though and the bubbles wont go away.

On what other machines have you seen this, and was it after working on it? I did the stator replacement, crank case upgrade (stator cooler) and installed an EPI clutch kit. The two sides of the engine have been opened for about 3 weeks in the garage.

·
Registered
2011 grizzly 700 se
26 Posts
I helped a buddy split the case in his Rhino, did it in his garage over a few weeks with cold/hot swings, but I don’t recall seeing anything like that when it was put back together. That being said, I have seen it on some of our machinery that lives out doors - just a bit of milky around the dipstick seal, but oil clean. Even though your water pump is suspect, If I were you I wouldn’t freak out just yet. Especially where the body of the oil is not milky. For the cost of an oil change, I would warm it up and change the oil into a clean container so you can really inspect it and see what you find then go from there. If your still not sure, repeat and see what it looks like. I suppose it is possible could be residual moisture from somewhere, but if you have bigger problems it should show up in your oil. I have seen bubbles like that on my grizzly’s dipstick but not milky, just clean oil. Keep a close eye on coolant levels, even though it will be hard to notice small losses. Also- if you drain the oil stone cold after it’s been sitting for a while and there is water in there, you should notice it first thing when you pull the plug. It will separate and go to the bottom. Just some ideas from my experience......Good luck!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Is your thermostat stuck open?

Coolant leak into crankcase?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have done perhaps 1 hour of driving around the roads. Oil at the bottom looks good, not creamy anyways, some light white on the stick though and the bubbles wont go away.

On what other machines have you seen this, and was it after working on it? I did the stator replacement, crank case upgrade (stator cooler) and installed an EPI clutch kit. The two sides of the engine have been opened for about 3 weeks in the garage.
I've seen it on my truck, FZ1, CRF450. Usually after sitting for a while. Here's more info; White Stuff Under My Oil Filler Cap - What Is It ? - Is It Bad ?

If the oil in the sump looks normal, I would run it and monitor coolant levels. If your coolant levels change or the oil in the sump gets milky then I think its worth a further look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts