Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Hey Champs-

I read a lot of threads in the Grizzly Challenges section. I do appreciate all the ambition and what people want to do with their quad. After all, you bought it and do what you wish with your quad.

I think is fairly common knowledge the Griz is not a speed demon. I knew it was locked up, good ground clearance, and its known in the ATV community, the Griz dominates in the woods and tuff trails. Its also a Yamaha, dominate brand for reliability.

I bought a Griz for the trails, I climb from 6k in elevation to 14k, we have lots of snow at times, always going up or down on trails, very rocky trails at times and so on. FI is a must here or bog down. I have it to drag out elk, they weight 1000 lbs. In my first 10 miles on a trail, I needed the lockers to back out of a mistake lol. I bought it because one can't really appreciate and explore this state unless you dump thousands into a jeep or other vehicle. In the end, I wanted a ultimate 4x4 machine for all my outdoor needs. I don't really ever care about taking it 60 mph lol, its a atv not a motorcycle.

I haven't rode out East, ever. I read that people are WOT most of the time, and here, thats just not really possible, you'd kill yourself. Why buy a griz for WOT and not a KQ for that application or Bombardier? I've read a lot in my ATV magazine that enthusiasts "got to put it in 4x4" even when they didn't need it, just to do it. I wonder why they drive a Griz. Then I see people talking about how to race people on a track, and it doesn't make sense they bought a griz. Its like why bring a jeep or truck to a race? I guess I'm mainly curious.

I love hearing about how a griz beat another quad in a race, I just don't get it though?

Why a Griz for you?

·
RIP Mike Mayho
3,703 Posts
the Yamaha /Grizzly name and power steering. I have had 2 back surgeries and had to quit riding till they came out with eps.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Pretty much like Mad Mike, good experience with Yamaha, have an 87 still running strong and couldn't ride anything without PS.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wanted to be different....all my buddies have ranchers or foremans and drive chevrolets, I got a Grizzly and a Tundra and guess whos always ready and doesnt usually have to "prep" to go on rides??:rocker::rocker:

The Vamped350grizzly!!:lala:

·
Registered
880 Posts
I was looking for a reliable, great all-around machine with the features I wanted and the Grizz was the only one that fit that category......for me anyways.

·
Registered
51 Posts
C & P from another post I did awhile ago, but most of it's relevant. However, they added power steering to the Can-Ams and tweaked the Visco Lok since I wrote it:

I don't have one, but I test rode an 800X last fall and I've done a lot of research. It was either one of those or the Grizzle...

The Visco Lok is supposed to work really well in muddy conditions or basically just conditions where the tires have a chance to slip a few revolutions and you can get it to lock. Apparently this can be an issue in really slow rock crawling conditions. However, it seems like Can-Am riders adapt their riding style pretty quick and the people w/ the biggest problem with it are people who are already biased against it anyways. Regardless, Diff Lock vs Visco Lok is pretty simple... Visco Lok can and does slip in certain conditions, Diff Lock is fully locked all the time. The only downside to Diff Lock that I see is increased steering effort, and since the Grizz had power steering, that means to me, the Yamaha system is hands down better than the Visco Lok.

Skid plates to me are just an essential purchase w/ a new quad for my riding style. And apparently after you get a set of Ricochets, the Can Am's undersides are supposed to be just as durable as any other quad w/ skid plates. So I don't think that's really much of a concern. Perhaps on 06's the frame couldn't really take much of a beating, even with skids, but I'm pretty sure that issue is resolved.

LOL after getting used to the mud protection on the Grizz you're probably going to be shocked at how it's even possible to get as muddy as you do on a Renegade. If it has rained recently and you even go down a gravel road you'll probably get some mud on you. LOL welp maybe not quite that bad, but close. There's fender flares that are available now and if I had bought one, a set of those would have been my first purchase. They're not a BRP accessory, but the company that's making them did an excellent job and they almost look OEM.

I haven't seen a front rack available, and quite frankly I think it would probably look retarded on a Renegade so I doubt you'll see one. Several companies do make a rear rack though that seem to be a good size. The BRP one looks small and useless, but I think a company called PRM makes a nice one. Should be more than large enough to strap the stuff on that you want to carry.

Engine wise... welp what can be said that hasn't already been said about the BRP 800? It's in a whole other planet compared to the Grizzly's engine but I'm sure you already know all about that. For the power it makes though it seemed very smooth and controllable.

Reliability still seems to be a concern compared to a Yammie or Honda. I only know two people w/ Can-Ams around here and both have had issues. One guy has an 07 650 and he's had several electrical issues that have left him stranded in the bush. The other guy has an 07 800 and his engine just blew. Also, there's a poll up on Can-Am Talk's site that deals with reliability. 80% of people who answered had less than 2000 miles on their quad, and yet 46% of the people who answered had a mechanical issue of some sort. The odds of having an issue were just too high for me. LOL however 85% of people said they would get another Can-Am... so either people who buy Can-Ams aren't that bright or they really like them

Suspension wise it will depend on what your pace is whether or not you would like a Renny. If you ride even semi-aggressively the Renegade has the Grizzly beat hands down. Handling, jumping, whoops, whatever. For super slow riding the Grizzly is pretty cushy so it's got the edge there. Plus, if you can plan on keeping it for a long time you can just get shocks rebuilt when they wear out. As opposed to the Grizzly where you'd hafta go buy new ones. Note to Yamaha: When the hell are you going to offer shocks that aren't garbage on your utility quads? The Rhino got an SE version with real shocks, where's the nice suspension package for the Grizzly?

The main reasons I chose the Grizzly over the Renegade were for the features that aren't available on the Can-Ams (Diff lock and power steering), my concerns about the local dealership that handles Can-Am (a bunch of boobs, in all fairness to Can-Am, the guy w/ the 07 650 I know who's having issues probably could have been fixed properly in one trip by a competent mechanic) and price. With the Grizzly I am giving up power and suspension, however, after doing my research I'm not too worried about making my Grizzly almost competitive w/ a Renny. Power wise I plan on doing a Hi-Comp piston, HMF exhaust, VDI computer, FPS sheave, and EHS lid. For the suspension I'll probably go with Elka. By the time's all said and done, to do those mods to the Grizzle, I'll probably have the same amount of money into it as I would have if I had bought a stock Renny X. So I figured I'd be better off going that route, since it would be impossible to later add Diff Lock and power steering to a Can-Am.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've only had 2 atv's in my lifetime and I still have them both. The first is an '86 moto 4 that my dad bought new. Still runs great and that's what I drive when the family goes riding. My newer one is an '07 Grizzly 400. I got it because of the good luck I've had with the '86 moto 4. So far I love it!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Reliability and an all around great package was the reason for me, I think it is great all around package thatwill suit many people an I'm one of them

·
Grizzly Patrol
531 Posts
It had the features I wanted, I looked at everything from Honda to POPO, to Kawisaki, to Can Am and nothing everything I wanted except the Grizzly, and the price was right.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was getting tired of my 04/400 Outy. It was and still is a good quad.I never had a single issue with this machine in 3-1/2 years and 2400 miles. I just wanted more power and torque. So I stopped at the dealer closest to where I have my vacation property and test rode a Grizz w/ps and that was it. One hour later I loaded up a new 08. As much as I enjoy my Grizz, the one thing the Outy does much better at is off camber situations. The Outy was as if it were secured on rails.

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
Cologrizguy, I agree with you 100%! Out here in Colorado, you'll never see WOT, except for a short burst on an open section of trail. My 450 has plenty of power to climb any hill, rock garden, ect, but not so much power, I'll get hurt, lol. It'll cruise at 35 mph all day long, how much faster do you need to go? That's fast enough for me. I've got zero interest in stupid stunts like wheelies or drag races.

Why did I buy Yamaha? Our local ATV shop swear's by them, he rent's them exclusively and they give him very few problems, even with the abuse they suffer. Based on his experience, Popo's are junk, Honda's are overrated and Can-Am is actually a good unit. The 450 Grizzly had all the features I was looking for at a good price point....sold!:lala:

Bottom line, its reputation for durability and reliability.

·
Banned
2,789 Posts
I'll also say that I wanted to be different, everyone and their grandmother rides a popo out here, lol.:icon_ laughup:

·
Hold my beer watch this..
2,061 Posts
One word....Alaska!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a rancher 350 that ran good but i wanted to go to a bigger atv so i found a used 03 660 and so far im in love with it. I was looking for anything and this came up first in my price range, man i am glad. I heard nothing but good about the 660 grizzlys.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts