Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a 2016 Grizzly in late 2015 mainly because I needed a quad to replace my 2008 King Quad 700 AXi when the engine on it locked up with 2620 miles and 375 hours on it. I wanted another full sized 4WD utility quad in the 700 plus size range for ranch work and general wooded trail riding. I'm partial to the wet clutch system that Suzuki and Yamaha have in front of the CVT trannys to keep the belts from coming apart. I also like the locking front diff system on both bikes. Obviously Suzuki was out of the running at that time and I had several other Yamahas and with Yamaha's reputation for reliability and quality I went with the Grizzly. At the time I also thought it was a great time to get a 2016 with the 708 engine and widened stance since it was brand new and supposedly a more "advanced" quad that the previous generation, as per reviews and Yamaha's PR.

Yamaha's reputation for reliability and quality have taken a hit with me recently given the 4WD switch issue (which appears to have been an issue for a decade or so), and then the decompression spring which the dealer should have replaced prior to selling me the bike. Thanks to GC, I was able to research those tech service bulletins, AT2016-001 and AT2016-002, and get the dealer to address both issues, although if I didn't know, I don't think they would have offered (leastwise it wasn't mentioned to me by Yamaha or the dealer in the 4 years I'd owned the bikeup to that point of repair) . The biggest hit to the Yamaha reputation for me lately is the starter magnets debonding from the case (my 2016 and two other 2016s, three 2012s and one 2011 mentioned elsewhere here on GC). Oh and then the 708 engine consuming oil and smoking, but I hear they "might" be thinking about fixing that if you know the secret handshake, hopefully I learn it soon enough. This said, every make has its ills.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why did I buy a Grizzly? Because no one would give me one.... lol.
I don't care if it will run 60mph, as I doubt I will ever use that full top end. I wanted a wheeler that would be like my rifle, able to handle anything I point it at. (AR-15 .450 BUSHMASTER). I want to be able to get anywhere I need to be, and do whatever I need to do when I get there. I want the reliability and power the grizzly is known for.
The only other Yamaha I've own was a 650 special motorcycle, and it never let me down. Even with the front forks wrapped into the engine and frame, it still fired up. (Death of a damn good running bike.) When a car, driven by an idiot, turned in front of me, I hit the rear of the vehicle, went through the windshield, over the top, and did 6 revolutions in the air before hitting head, shoulders then toes, for the length of a parking lot. I still have neck pain after, what? 35 years? Still, any crash you can walk away from is a good one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I think we can all agree the Grizzly wasn’t bought for its power. For me it was mainly the Yamaha name. My first quad ever was a 2010 Big Bear, thing was amazing for what it was. However as the years went buy and I got more into mudding I started to want more bike. Went to a Foreman and a Rubicon both were 500’s.

I still wanted more so I tried an Arctic Cat that was built but was used. Nice bike jus never could stay running good. Which served me right because I settled on that instead of the Can Am which is what I really wanted. Well I did get the Can Am 1000, let me tell you man it did not disappoint, just very pricey. One day wide says let’s get a side by side, but you have to sell the Can Am.
So I do just that and get the RZR. Well I still have the itch for the quad, it’s different the the sxs. So I look at the board and think. I want a good bike but I want dependability more then anything, and the Grizzly has always intrigued me and my buddy has an 02 660 which is a beast so I went with the 2018 700 SE. Did a few mods and it works pretty damn good.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts