Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 XTR
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I had a fan blade break off and in turn, punctured my radiator. Wasn't very enthusiastic about modding a brand new 4 wheeler but here we are. I decided to get a thicker radiator from American Cooling Solutions and the Wild Boar relocation kit. The kit came with 2 straight plastic barbed fittings for the coolant hoses. I swapped them out for some 3/4' brass 90s for reliability and fitment. The hardware that comes with the Wild Boar kit is less than stellar but the mounting plate seems durable enough for what I'll do with the machine. For $190 kit, it does just fine. The biggest problem for me was sourcing a cooling fan. Everywhere that had them in stock wanted over $250 for it, there's a really big backorder from Yamaha on these things. In the midst of searching, I received a call from a local mechanic in my area that offered his cooling fan($50) he had pulled from a earlier model Brute Force 750. I scooped that up and figured if it didn't work, I'd only be out $50. My saving grace was the motor and fan from the Brute Force assembly fitting into the Yamaha shroud/housing. After slight modification, we were mounted and in business. So far, the fan is working when the sensor tells it to. I've noticed it cuts in around 206* and cuts out around 196*, I'm hoping to get this setpoint lowered when I get a programmer. Overall, I'm pleased with how the relocation turned out. If you plan on ordering the Wild Boar kit, I would definitely plan on swapping most of the hardware from the kit over to more durable bolts, fittings, etc. The radiator from American Cooling Solutions works well, only gripe I have is the overflow wasn't threaded exactly right but we managed to use a tap and die kit to make sure it seated good. I wish I had taken pictures of that but I didn't always have my phone on me during the install. Project took longer than it should have but I'm happy and everything seems to be working properly. I also just performed the 20hr maintenence so I'm looking to get out there and give her a test. No hose clamps were spared for this install, I even have an extra on the hose in case I need it out on the trail.
Thanks for reading.
Sewing machine Household appliance accessory Typewriter Office equipment Creative arts

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Hood
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Looks great, and looks like a great job installing.

Reactions: Pool

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
69 Posts
Just a curiosity question on those with the rad relocate kits. On the '09's and others, the battery is under the front "hood" and requires taking off the rack to get at it unless you have some kind of remote connector for a boost should the occasion occur. How do you do that without dismantling everything?

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 XTR
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a curiosity question on those with the rad relocate kits. On the '09's and others, the battery is under the front "hood" and requires taking off the rack to get at it unless you have some kind of remote connector for a boost should the occasion occur. How do you do that without dismantling everything?
I have no idea other than taking everything off. Perhaps that's something I should think about.

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Well if you have a winch you might be able to take advantage of the terminals going to the battery from the winch relay, depending on where you have that mounted.

·
Super Moderator
1,646 Posts
Well if you have a winch you might be able to take advantage of the terminals going to the battery from the winch relay, depending on where you have that mounted.
Only problem is, most are paranoid about water getting on the sealed contactor and don't mount it on the back of winch plate where it's supposed to go, so they not it up by the battery where it's "dry". Lol
Luckily some do mount it under the seat, so that would still be accessable.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
110 Posts
Agreed, mine is under the left side panel by the shifter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can sneak the plastic cover out to access battery if need to charge boost etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,
I had a fan blade break off and in turn, punctured my radiator. Wasn't very enthusiastic about modding a brand new 4 wheeler but here we are. I decided to get a thicker radiator from American Cooling Solutions and the Wild Boar relocation kit. The kit came with 2 straight plastic barbed fittings for the coolant hoses. I swapped them out for some 3/4' brass 90s for reliability and fitment. The hardware that comes with the Wild Boar kit is less than stellar but the mounting plate seems durable enough for what I'll do with the machine. For $190 kit, it does just fine. The biggest problem for me was sourcing a cooling fan. Everywhere that had them in stock wanted over $250 for it, there's a really big backorder from Yamaha on these things. In the midst of searching, I received a call from a local mechanic in my area that offered his cooling fan($50) he had pulled from a earlier model Brute Force 750. I scooped that up and figured if it didn't work, I'd only be out $50. My saving grace was the motor and fan from the Brute Force assembly fitting into the Yamaha shroud/housing. After slight modification, we were mounted and in business. So far, the fan is working when the sensor tells it to. I've noticed it cuts in around 206* and cuts out around 196*, I'm hoping to get this setpoint lowered when I get a programmer. Overall, I'm pleased with how the relocation turned out. If you plan on ordering the Wild Boar kit, I would definitely plan on swapping most of the hardware from the kit over to more durable bolts, fittings, etc. The radiator from American Cooling Solutions works well, only gripe I have is the overflow wasn't threaded exactly right but we managed to use a tap and die kit to make sure it seated good. I wish I had taken pictures of that but I didn't always have my phone on me during the install. Project took longer than it should have but I'm happy and everything seems to be working properly. I also just performed the 20hr maintenence so I'm looking to get out there and give her a test. No hose clamps were spared for this install, I even have an extra on the hose in case I need it out on the trail.
Thanks for reading.
View attachment 102319
View attachment 102315 View attachment 102316 View attachment 102317 View attachment 102318
I used to run a 12" Spal fan. 2 x cfm of air flow and only drew less than1 amp draw more than stock fan. Spal has a better design on fan itself.
You wont be able to configure "turn on" and "turn off" with a programmer like you can with the Polaris. OEM sensor sends info to Ecm and Ecm turns on and off. Have heard some guys wiring in a resister in series of wiring to trick the Ecm
Cheers Werner
I had smae set up as you and always ran in 190"s all day long with an 843cc Grizz motor extensivley modded

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 XTR
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to run a 12" Spal fan. 2 x cfm of air flow and only drew less than1 amp draw more than stock fan. Spal has a better design on fan itself.
You wont be able to configure "turn on" and "turn off" with a programmer like you can with the Polaris. OEM sensor sends info to Ecm and Ecm turns on and off. Have heard some guys wiring in a resister in series of wiring to trick the Ecm
Cheers Werner
I had smae set up as you and always ran in 190"s all day long with an 843cc Grizz motor extensivley modded
I would love to know more about this resistor mod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts