Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 450 grizzly 2012. I have already tried replacing all my fuses using a substitute battery and even replaced the ignition switch[/U][/B] (key) already. I was supposed to have this ready to go by now for a trip. However I cannot figure out what the hell is wrong with my bike. Any ideas are welcome. It would be really awesome if I could get this fixed. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
We need more details. What do you mean it will not turn on?
Does turning on the key do nothing? Does it act like no electrical power?
Or does it crank over just does not start?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing will turn on when i switch the key. It acts like the battery is dead. screen doesn't turn on nor do lights so it for obvious reasons wont turn over either

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Are you 100% sure you replace all the fuses? Including the 2 on the solenoid?

Have you cleaned the chassis ground contact?

Have you inspected the wiring harness for breaks for melting near the exhaust and by the steering stem? Under the gas tank, near the exhaust is a common place for melted wires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check the two fuses on the solenoid. I am not super mechanical and only know so much. Could you explain the other two a little more?

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
The battery negative wire is connected to the frame. It must be a good clean connection. Follow the wire from the battery to where it bolts up to the frame or engine component.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't had the chance to check wiring harnesses yet. Don't know what the ground chassis contact is. If I'll be honest.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
The battery negative wire where it connects to the frame is the chassis ground.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A simple and basic 12v test probe with l.e.d indicator from autozone does wonders. You can trace from the battery positive cable forward (following The wires) to insure you have 12v power. The starter relay with the two fuses would explain no starter engagement but you should still be getting power everywhere else when the key is on if those fuses are good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked and cleaned everything. The only thing I haven't done is checked to see the electrical current with a probe simply because i don't have one. I'll get on that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are both of the fuses on the solenoid actually needed on the 2011? there is no indication on the second fuse when i check it. even though the first lights up. does this mean i need a new solenoid? or is the second just a spare?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Code:
Are both of the fuses on the solenoid actually needed on the 2011? there is no indication on the second fuse when i check it. even though the first lights up. does this mean i need a new solenoid? or is the second just a spare?
I assume at this point you have a 12 volt tester.

If so unplug your "key" from the harness.(3 pin connector)
On the Quad side of the harness(3 pin/wire connector) put your positive pin from tester to the Red wire pin( holding the quads harness with the clip on top this should be the left Pin in the connector verify by looking at wire color) You should have 12 volts to that pin.

Do you have power to that pin?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not exactly sure what that is but the connector to the ignition key has power. 3 of the 4 little pin things lit up soooo i don't know

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried to check if my starter was getting power and it didn't seem to be. Any ideas? Had a car mechanic buddy say theres this wire on car that burns up or something and i should check for that. I'm out of ideas frankly

·
Registered
269 Posts
It really helps if you have a wiring diagram for your model so you can visually trace wires before you physically check them with the probe, this will make what GrizLBar is advising easier to follow.

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
He is speaking of a fusable link near the battery on some vehicles like cars/trucks.

Kind of suspicious of the key assembly but only a shade tree mechanic, a lot of knowledge on this forum and they will steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes need a wiring diagram. this machine is different from the one I have access to and I can't find any online.

The three wires that have power are on the quad side of the harness correct? If so that means your fuses are fine. And since you have already changed the key switch. I would suggest following the 4th pin/wire that had no power back along quad. Could be a break in it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts