Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my winch came in today i got it all installed i orderd the viper max 3500lbs with synthetic line , but it came with a roller fairlead, would it be ok to use it or should get a hawse eventually?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
If its new thats ok just watch the cable could get caught in the rollers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know who you got it from but all that I have seen(with syn line) came with a hawse aluminum fairlead. They should exchange it for you I would think. I would use the right one before you damage it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i got it from moto alliance on ebay

·
Registered
92 Posts
This brings up a good question, since I have been wondering this myself. I have a warn RT 25, which came with steel cable. I bought the warn upgrade kit, which came with the synthetic line, rock guard and a new roller fairlead. I know that they want you to replace the fairlead you used with the steel as the steel gouges the crap out of the fairlead, and that would fray the synthetic cable. Makes sense. I bought a viper 3000 for Wifey's 660, with the synthetic, and they use the hawse fairlead, and claim that is better for synthetic leads. My questions is, if it really is better, why doesn't Warn use it? They are one of the biggest (and DEFINIETLY most expensive) brands out there, and they use the roller fairlead with all their synthetic winches. It just seems to me that the roller would cause less wear in the long run, as the lead doesn't have to constantly slide against it; it rolls. The hawse fairleads just seem to me like they would wear the cable more...

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It will be fine. I have been running synthetic line for over a year with rollers. As long as they are new and have no sharp edges to cut the line you wont have any worries. Mine even has synthetic rollers on it. I don't know where this "getting caught in the rollers" came from, but I have not heard of or seen a post where somebody got their line caught in the rollers. If you look at the way the rollers are positioned, they form a box for the line to go through. I have actively used mine through two winters plowing, so constant winch use and haven't had a problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
^^agree with Upstate - I have a warn 2500 with Synthetic and rollers. Its never an issue.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I was told that the aluminum was the way to go. My last grizz had roller fairlead and those rollers didn't roll (not good) Rollers or plastic rollers would work fine they must roll tho.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just got in my Viper winch and will install it this morning. I just checked the box after seeing this thread and I received the hawse fairlead instead of the roller fairlead. I also have never heard of a synthetic line getting caught in a roller fairlead.

If you are changing from a steel cable to a synthetic line all you need to do is gently sand down the drum of the winch so there is no burrs, and do the same with the rollers if you choose not to replace it. This seems to be the majority advice on forums, so you really don't need to replace the roller fairlead (new or not). As stated above, people have used synthetic line with a roller fairlead without any problems and if it's bugging you or making you feel a bit nervous then just change it out. You need to enjoy the winch and not worry about it :peace:

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I was told that the aluminum was the way to go. My last grizz had roller fairlead and those rollers didn't roll (not good) Rollers or plastic rollers would work fine they must roll tho.
So what if the roller doesn't roll? What is the difference of pulling a line across a roller that isn't rolling or across a hawse fairlead? You are pulling across an non-moving object in both cases. It is probably still better across a roller since the roller is rounder and smoother that it coming across the edge of the fairlead.

The key point to whatever you use is to ensure there are no edges for the rope to get cut or wear on. Make sure if you are coming from cable, X2 on preping the drum by sanding it smooth with emery cloth to remove any burrs or high edges. If you are concerned about your rollers, replace them. I changed mine out with the synthetic roller for an extra $20 just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
and... if you're rollers aren't rolling then you have the bolt too tight. Pretty easy! Lefty loosey!

·
CRASH STUNT MEMBER
8,094 Posts
and... if you're rollers aren't rolling then you have the bolt too tight. Pretty easy! Lefty loosey!
:icon_ laughup:...........:devil:

Brand new roll is the best for a new winch line rather it's rope or cable!:deal:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:icon_ goofy:yeah the rollers roll real easyand yeah i myself i would rather have a roller fairlead in all honestly, i really dont like draggin my rope across a piece of metal, id rather it be rolling over thanks guys ! :peace:

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
They say the rope can get pinched in the corners of the rollers if you are winching at a hard angle,hawse fairlead is cheaper than replacing the rope and finding out the hard way

1 - 15 of 15 Posts