Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently assembled a Warn Provantage Plow setup for my 2021 Grizzly 700. I have a Warn VRX-35s winch installed which comes with a hawse fairlead. I also purchased the Warn 85426 Cable Pulley for the rig as well, and there is a note stating that only a roller fairlead should be used. I also read one post that said their synthetic cable broke after an hour of using the hawse fairlead with this setup, so not sure what to make of this. I thought a roller fairlead was not appropriate for synthetic cable.

In case it matters, the equipment I have aside from the winch mentioned above is a Warn 78960 60" plow blade, Warn 78100 plow base/push tube (center mount), Warn 88188 plow mounting kit (center mount as mentioned), and then the Warn 85426 plow pulley.

Looking for suggestions on what is actually needed here, appreciate the help.

Side note, install was a joke, found a few videos to help. For the pulley I had to trim some length of a bolt off to get the brackets to fit, then I had to file down the sides of the pulley to let it spin freely, otherwise it was jammed b/w the brackets. Instructions and quality control of compatible parts is lacking big time.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
A hawse should only be used for synthetic rope, roller for cable. Both steel and synthetic can break when using a plow due to extreme angle and excessive stress from pulling in too far.
I would ignore any statement telling you to use your synthetic with a roller as you will stand a higher chance of damage.

The best setup is to use a strap on the winch for the plow instead of a cable or synthetic rope.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A hawse should only be used for synthetic rope, roller for cable. Both steel and synthetic can break when using a plow due to extreme angle and excessive stress from pulling in too far.
I would ignore any statement telling you to use your synthetic with a roller as you will stand a higher chance of damage.

The best setup is to use a strap on the winch for the plow instead of a cable or synthetic rope.

Ok thanks, my thoughts were to ignore that too. Not sure why Warn would state that.

Can this pulley be used with a strap? I would think not, but I like the idea of the benefits it provides.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi all,

I recently assembled a Warn Provantage Plow setup for my 2021 Grizzly 700. I have a Warn VRX-35s winch installed which comes with a hawse fairlead. I also purchased the Warn 85426 Cable Pulley for the rig as well, and there is a note stating that only a roller fairlead should be used. I also read one post that said their synthetic cable broke after an hour of using the hawse fairlead with this setup, so not sure what to make of this. I thought a roller fairlead was not appropriate for synthetic cable.

In case it matters, the equipment I have aside from the winch mentioned above is a Warn 78960 60" plow blade, Warn 78100 plow base/push tube (center mount), Warn 88188 plow mounting kit (center mount as mentioned), and then the Warn 85426 plow pulley.

Looking for suggestions on what is actually needed here, appreciate the help.

Side note, install was a joke, found a few videos to help. For the pulley I had to trim some length of a bolt off to get the brackets to fit, then I had to file down the sides of the pulley to let it spin freely, otherwise it was jammed b/w the brackets. Instructions and quality control of compatible parts is lacking big time.
I just installed a 6,000-8,000 lb blue strap to my winch with a roller fairlead. The original cable was cut/kinked and twisted.

·
Grizzled
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
4,144 Posts
Can this pulley be used with a strap? I would think not, but I like the idea of the benefits it provides.
No, won’t be able to use that specific pulley with a strap. But you could possibly rig up something yourself to allow a strap to use some sort of a pulley. I rigged up a boat keel roller to my bumper since the keel roller is wide and have been using the same strap for 6 seasons now and it is still going strong. The strap is a 5-6000 lbs tow strap, with gated hooks, that I cut in two and melted the ends. Cost me less than $20 US and I have a brand new strap waiting for when the first gets retired. I broke synthetic plow line and steel cable multiple times per season before going to a strap. To be completely transparent, I did not have a synthetic line pulley at the time but just can’t believe that setup will last nearly as long as the strap setup I’m using.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Absolutely. Positively use a roller fairlead. Snapped a brand new warn plow strap three times in probably 30 raises of the blade. Really nice when it's 22 degrees out and 8 inches of snow. Went with the roller and so far not a minutes problem.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes
No, won’t be able to use that specific pulley with a strap. But you could possibly rig up something yourself to allow a strap to use some sort of a pulley. I rigged up a boat keel roller to my bumper since the keel roller is wide and have been using the same strap for 6 seasons now and it is still going strong. The strap is a 5-6000 lbs tow strap, with gated hooks, that I cut in two and melted the ends. Cost me less than $20 US and I have a brand new strap waiting for when the first gets retired. I broke synthetic plow line and steel cable multiple times per season before going to a strap. To be completely transparent, I did not have a synthetic line pulley at the time but just can’t believe that setup will last nearly as long as the strap setup I’m using.
Yes the keel roller should work just fine and is what I will use to get a better angle for lifting nearly straight up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely. Positively use a roller fairlead. Snapped a brand new warn plow strap three times in probably 30 raises of the blade. Really nice when it's 22 degrees out and 8 inches of snow. Went with the roller and so far not a minutes problem.
Admittedly I have a lot to learn. I thought a roller fairlead was not good for synthetic rope due to the potential to get pinched between rollers. Is this incorrect?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Admittedly I have a lot to learn. I thought a roller fairlead was not good for synthetic rope due to the potential to get pinched between rollers. Is this incorrect?
That is 100% correct. You can still use it but there's a high chance of pinch in corner between 2 rollers, usually pulling at extreme angles, but it can do it at very little angle when it's spooling back on close to the edge of the drum

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is 100% correct. You can still use it but there's a high chance of pinch in corner between 2 rollers, usually pulling at extreme angles, but it can do it at very little angle when it's spooling back on close to the edge of the drum

But on the flip side the friction between the synthetic rope and hawse fairlead when plowing is the deteriorating factor?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see. So I see some of the plow straps have a portion that is synthetic rope. I wonder if you could install that in such a way where the strap is what is on the winch and touching the fairlead, and the synthetic rope portion starts beyond the fairlead but before the pulley.

Either way, appreciate the insight. I’ll likely see how this synthetic rope works for now before I investigate other options.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The portion of rope is usually ment to be wound on the winch drum. It's often difficult to attach a strap to the drum so you attach the rope, leaving the stronger strap doing all the contact work

·
Registered
232 Posts
I see. So I see some of the plow straps have a portion that is synthetic rope. I wonder if you could install that in such a way where the strap is what is on the winch and touching the fairlead, and the synthetic rope portion starts beyond the fairlead but before the pulley.

Either way, appreciate the insight. I’ll likely see how this synthetic rope works for now before I investigate other options.
I used 7ft. of strap is all, enough to wind around the winch drum and it's enough to lift and lower the plow.

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
4 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has no one here ever tried the electric linear actuators such as the one Moose Bunk sells. I know those are not cheap but there are other aftermarket ones that cost under $100. Super easy to install, no wreaking straps, cables or synthetic rope. No more birds nest on the winch spool either. We had them installed on our old Kodiaks at work to plow parking lots in winter, cats meow. They have auto limiters at each end so no burning out the motors. https://www.princessauto.com/en/12v-dc-270-lb-linear-actuators/product/PA1000001116?skuId=8507840

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has no one here ever tried the electric linear actuators such as the one Moose Bunk sells. I know those are not cheap but there are other aftermarket ones that cost under $100. Super easy to install, no wreaking straps, cables or synthetic rope. No more birds nest on the winch spool either. We had them installed on our old Kodiaks at work to plow parking lots in winter, cats meow. They have auto limiters at each end so no burning out the motors. https://www.princessauto.com/en/12v-dc-270-lb-linear-actuators/product/PA1000001116?skuId=8507840
Do you have pics of your work setup? I've looked at those on the PA site so many times thinking about exactly that, one for lifting the plow and one or two of the longer more powerful ones for angle.

·
Registered
2009 Grizzly 550 EPS
4 Posts
I'll see if I still have them. Pretty basic setup, the top was attached to the front rack with an adjustable strap, the lower point was attached with a bolt through the big "U" bolt on the plow. Wiring is the same as the installation for a common winch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts