Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another winch question here. I am looking to replace the 2000lb. Champion winch that came with my recently purchased 98' Grizzly. The previous owner never had it correctly mounted with a mounting plate. Anyway, as I am new to the winch discussion, I am trying to figure out which winch will serve me best. Here is a couple I have been researching. Totally open to others. Most likely not doing any heavy mud runs. Most likely used for dragging out trees we cut and available if needed while trail riding. Thanks in advance for providing your recommendations.

Runva 2500lb with synthetic line approx. $180.00
Warn Vantage 2000-S for about $265.00
KFi Stealth 2500 with mounting plate for $309.00
Superwinch LT3000 closeout for $119.99.
Superwinch Terra 2500 for $289.00

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
In my opinion, the Superwinch Terra Series is the best winch of that group listed.
But the Runva Winch is a great deal. I had one on a Polaris 700 and loved it. Pulled very hard and never failed me. I would have no problem purchasing another Runva Winch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just found a new Superwinch Terra 35 - $229.00 shipped may be hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
I've only used Warn on all my atvs but it's because I've had such good luck out of them. I'm looking for a winch for my new car trailer that will be used rarely and not put in mud so I'm keeping an eye here as I know there are a lot of good options out there.

Reactions: 1998Grizzly

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just installed a Runva 2.5 XP winch on a 2001 Grizzly, using a KFI mounting plate.

Winch was $120 delivered (wire - which makes sense for me), mounting plate was $43 delivered.

Winch solenoid is DOA, but company’s got one coming out priority. Meanwhile, I’ve run the thing under load - dragging my body weight across the floor - basically running it off a SLA battery, 12V 7.5A. It’s pretty strong.

Shortened the thumb switch wire - it’s preetty easy to do, just need a soldering iron.

I think it’ll work out okay for whatever/whenever I need it.

I’m using my iPad, I can’t drag and drop files, I’ll try and upload one later.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This was funny. Funny interesting.

Got the new solenoid, hooked it up. Same problem. Cable only payed OUT.

Dammit.

Disassembled the switch and wiring to the solenoid and found the center wire - green, common, ground had been switched for blue, out.

Rewired, works great now.

Bought a KTI hand controller and wired THAT in. Nice thing is it disconnects, so I don’t have to disconnect winch power to the solenoid but CAN with the breaker. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027UTITU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also have some 6 gauge silicone 200C wire and a 150amp breaker (Bussman CB185-150, very compact, about the size of half a pack of cards) I’ll hook in after this trip to TN.

Asked the seller about wanting the solenoid back - no word. Guess I’ve got a spare.

Anyone want to see how I’ve got the all plumbed, leave a reply here, I’ll post pictures when I get the Grizzly off the trailer in TN.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have posted in this post that I ended up getting a Viper Max 2500. Haven't hooked it up yet as I am waiting for the front bumper to get back from powder coating. Also been out of town in some training. Hope to get to work on it next week. Thanks NormB for the posts as you are providing me several ideas. ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts