Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Grizzled
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
35f outside and is "snowing" but too warm near the ground so it melts just as the flakes are about to touch ground. So, certainly no accumulation but I'm betting 8500' + is getting actual snow. Yep, just checked and the high country is getting snow.

Snow currently in the forecast a few days out, where I live, but that may change... winter seems to be closing in.

bad/good? I suppose that depends.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well I'm sitting here surfing the net and enjoying the fire I made in my new Osburn 2400 EPA wood stove , I'm just burning "junk" wood , Spruce etc. and the HEAT...............well I LOVE this stove so far!!

Here it's 2 celcius and we are expecting a snow rain mix today! Lots of snow inland! YUP winter is here!!:happy:

Reactions: RedRocket

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
The snow line here is down to about 10,000 ft. with rain in town and low clouds drifting across the valley.
Our high for the day of 51f was reached a couple hours ago and now its 34f.
I'd take a picture but all it would show are yellow leaves on the tree with green grass in the park, white clouds drifting through the valley and the occasional mountainside covered in color.
We still have leaves on the trees below 9,000 ft.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I almost feel bad saying it's sunny and a high of 73

·
Grizzled
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim, snow in the forecast for today? It is amazing how different the western slope is over the front range including difference in weather.

All aspens on my property have dropped their leaves and I'm at 7700'. On the 9200' peak nearby, I still see yellow aspen stands... at least two days ago.

Snow got heavier here and is now sticking to where the dead grass has about 1/2" - 1" and still snowing heavy. Except for pavement/concrete, everything is now coated in white but still at 35f. The ground is still really warm so all of this will be gone in a couple hours once the snow stops.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah I'm with you, todays high is 78. In a few more weeks, I'll be complaining that it's cold. :poke:

I almost feel bad saying it's sunny and a high of 73

·
Premium Member
10,089 Posts
The 2 day forecast is snow around town and rain in town.
Town is about 7,000 ft.
When I made the first post a few minutes ago the clouds had just covered the valley.
Within a few minutes the snow line dropped and this was taken through a hole in the clouds.
The hill just above the sign is 2 miles away and about 9,000 ft., with mountain in the far back about 10 miles away.

Things are changing fast up there.

This taken a minute before from the veranda toward the town park across Railroad Street.

This is a link to a camera above town that takes a picture every minute, you can see what is happening here in real time. Just above the word movie, below the picture you can make out the yellow patch of trees in the picture of the park I took this morning. Just to the left you can make out a yellow structure and that is the old Depot I live in. The camera is about a mile away from the house.
Ridgwaycam :: Webcam of Ridgway Colorado

Reactions: B_MAN84

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Was down to 5 last night but no sign of snow for awhile Tha k god

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It's raining and 78, looks like rain until Sunday but I'll probably ride anyway. I like snow, but only for a short amount of time. The heat doesn't bother me much but the cold sure as hell does

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Last two days here were Bee You Tee Ful - perfect and in the 70's. It got down into the 20's for a few nights there... that was a wake up call.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll keep my south texas heat any day over freezing cold and snowing LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
We had a hard frost/freeze last week. It got down to 28. My work load has basically doubled. I have been installing boilers on a daily basis for the month of October. Can't wait until Halloween because my last scheduled install will be done. Then I can enjoy some much needed hunting time.

Jim

C

·
0 Posts
Snow level is at 5,000 ft here. Highs in the low 50's. It is low in elevation, but we don't melt off like CO does. We have snowpack that will last until June at 5,000 ft.

·
Grizzled
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been installing boilers on a daily basis for the month of October.
Add me to the list of someone who is needing to get this done. Damn boiler is constantly having issues to where I need to reset the thermocouple sometimes 2-3 times a day. We have owned this house for 3 1/2 years and the thermocouple has been replaced twice under the garbage home warranty provided by the seller.

I have spoke with a highly recommended HVAC person and he gave me the honest truth and told me what to look for over the phone as to not waste my money coming out to tell me the same thing. The current boiler, and a lot of boilers non-cast iron, are just cheaply made and really don't last much longer than 10-12 years which is about where ours is.

I'm hoping to get our boiler to limp along this winter so I can save up to have the boiler replaced next summer as I would prefer to pay outright and not make payments. But I need to decide how long we may stay in this house and determine if it is cost effective to spend the extra $ to buy a cast iron boiler. So, I am probably going to pay for him to come out and service it and see if we can get through the winter.

I lived in Phx for 5 years in my 20's and hats off to you guys that can deal with the heat like that... and then add in the humidity along with high heat in certain places. I figured out a while back that was not for me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Was down to 5 last night but no sign of snow for awhile Tha k god
We don't get snow and if we do it's very little and gone in a day. The island is the same climate I wouldn't worry about snow I highly doubt we get any just like last year and the year before.BC is becoming like California longer hotter summers and milder winters but hey there's no such thing as global warming :banned::banned::banned::icon_ goofy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those of us living in the south we are holding onto the fall like weather which is summer temperatures for yall up north. Hopefully no snow or cold till January!

C

·
0 Posts
I'm ready to light a big fire and get some good snow! Ice fishing isn't far off!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here is my place in Palmer Rapids Ontario two weeks ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts