Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally have the winch wired up . I would like to cut the wires from the winch and shorten them . It is a Viper max winch . From what I can see from paper work and info on the web it says the two wires are 5 gauge. I checked at Autozone and guy said that was a odd size and they did not have connectors for that size . I also checked Lowes and Rural King . Will a 4 gauge connector crimp enough for a good connection or anyone have a clue where I can find the right size connectors ? I have not checked local Yamaha dealer or auto dealer because I thought they would be easy to find at auto parts stores .Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was going to cut my winch wires and do the same but instead I just shortened the wires by looping them and zip tied them high on the frame, saved time and hassle. Just an idea

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Solder and heat shrink is the best connection IMO but zip ties on the extra wire will leave no where for a bad connection to happen.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I do a mechanical connection (bare crimp connector...no plastic), then solder it to the wires, then a dab of di-electric grease, then shrink tubing. As for your connections....You can buy terminals/connectors and then just flux the wire and connector, heat and fill with solder.....done this a few times on battery cables....never any issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts