Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't look like anyone posts in this section - just reaching out to find fellow riders in the Wisconsin area, maybe set up a monthly meet and greet, etc. I am from the Milwaukee area and most of my riding is up north. Anyone else around?

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
Northern Wisconsin.. Birchwood.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cedarburg and 20 minutes northwest of Crivitz. If you haven't, check out the Kettle Moraine ATV/UTV Assocation. KMATVA.com Good group of people.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I mostly ride the Flambeau trails near Park Falls 8-12 times per season. Also the Dead Horse trail in Ashland Co.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I mostly ride the Flambeau trails near Park Falls 8-12 times per season. Also the Dead Horse trail in Ashland Co.

I’m headed that way in August for our yearly family vacation. I don’t know much about the trails up there but I can’t wait to explore.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Anyone have a favorite website that shows the open/closed status of all Wisconsin trails? I googled around a bit but I didn't find a resource that shows all the trails in one place. I found a few different websites that talk about each county's trails and such but not much info about whether they're open. Here in MN we have a DNR website that shows all the state trails in one map with links that show the status. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I don’t think that exists for Wisconsin. But I follow the Wisconsin ATV Association on Facebook and they often share posts from each county when those counties update their open/close status. I also follow a few of my favorite ATV trail systems on Facebook for the same updates.

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Registered
187 Posts
Anyone have a favorite website that shows the open/closed status of all Wisconsin trails? I googled around a bit but I didn't find a resource that shows all the trails in one place. I found a few different websites that talk about each county's trails and such but not much info about whether they're open. Here in MN we have a DNR website that shows all the state trails in one map with links that show the status. Thanks in advance.
Try WATVA shows state trails. Can buy a 140 page map book for $35 Any maps I needed I went to that county tourism and sent them an e-mail and they sent me a map.
Trail openings vary for each county most are May 1, May 15, or the weekend of memorial day. You have to check with each county as they vary each depending on snowfall.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We do day rides to Bayfield county, Dead Horse, Park Falls, Jackson county. June 10-15th the UP in Michigan. Black Hills and Colorado in Sept. Outerwise we ride from Birchwood every weekend from May 1 to end of Oct. If anyone wants to ride this year sent me a pm and we will meet you in Birchwood.

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
You won't find a website with trail reports for all trails in Wisconsin.
The dnr doesn't own many trails. Most are controlled by the counties where they are located. Some controlled by the State (dnr). Some are controlled by National forests officials. Some are club controlled.
In Washburn county where I live and ride there are only county trails. These trails are maintained by three ATV/ snowmobile clubs. In Sawyer county almost all trails are controlled by the county. There is an alliance of 10 ATV/snowmobile clubs and 2 snow only clubs that maintain those trails.There is also some National Forest in Sawyer.
The state/DNR is starting to turn off trail maintenance to some of the ATV club. Like the Wild River and the Tuscobia

Best to contact the county or a club in the area that you like to ride.

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
The state/DNR is starting to turn off trail maintenance to some of the ATV club. ...........
Type-O alert...The state/DNR is starting to turn OVER trail maintenance to some of the ATV club

·
Registered
781 Posts
From what I’ve seen posted on Facebook, several Wisconsin ATV Trail systems won’t be opening as early as they wanted because of the sloppy spring weather we have had.

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
They now have to figure the damage from the 2000+lbs UTV's into the equation. Going to be late this year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's good to hear from all of you and many thanks for sharing. I've been riding the Iron County trail system for a while and looking to explore other areas as well. Many of the trail systems have been adapted for UTV use. These aren't even trails anymore - it's all hard pack gravel and kinda takes the fun out of traditional trail ridding. Don't get me wrong I like to open up the Grizz and fly - I just wish the trail system didn't mirror our highway system!

Bayfield County is another area I have tried and really enjoyed as well. Was thinking of venturing out into the UP as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
WI

If you are riding up north by Bayfield County area, PM me. Looking to ride and get some use out of that out of state trail pass. I live in Duluth and ride Douglas and Washburn counties. Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Green Bay rea here, I go up to crivitz/marinette county usually, otherwise its Dunbar to MI if I feel adventurous.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Do you guys winter ATV or mostly fair weather?
I’m mostly fair weather but I’ve done a couple Winter rides. I’m trying to get my buds out for a winter ride this year.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Do you guys winter ATV or mostly fair weather?
I’m mostly fair weather but I’ve done a couple Winter rides. I’m trying to get my buds out for a winter ride this year.
Im down for winter riding, I got heated grips and layers. I like winter riding, the waterfalls look cool and and its fun to slide around, pm me if you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd do a winter ride too, although I need to get some heated grips. I know the iron county trail system allows ATV on winter snowmobile trails - is this the same for other area's?

·
Registered
781 Posts
The few winter ATV rides I did in Jackson County were on the ATV trails. But those trails are part of the larger snowmobile trail system. So there are snowmobile trails that ATVs are not allowed on, but while ATVing on the winter ATV trails we ran into several snowmobiles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts