Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my machine for just over a month now and haven't even broken in the engine with only 18 miles on it and have noticed BOTH tie rods are bad. My dealer says to bring it in which I am working on doing. Has any other wolverine owner found out they have bad tie rods? I am hoping I just happen to have gotten a bad set.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Mine came from the dealer with too much toe-in. I hadn't checked the spec on it until I noticed a strange wear pattern beginning to show on the front tires. Can you provide a little more detail as to what is wrong with the tie rods?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Something is awry here. Tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings, etc....nothing like this wears out in only 8 miles.
I am suspecting something was not assembled correctly during manufacturing. Might be as simple as a loose nut.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can feel the loose joint by moving the wheel left and right, (the typical way to check for a bad tie rod). I can even hold my hand around the joint and feel it moving right at the joint. I have at least an 1/8 to 1/16 inch movement in the tire. Passenger side is worse than the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
The dealer has to in stall the wheels and tires on the crated machines.

Are the lug nuts tight?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
The dealer has to in stall the wheels and tires on the crated machines.

Are the lug nuts tight?
Not sure on the SxS's, but on the ATV's the dealer only has to install wheels on models built in a manufacturing plant outside North America. All models built here are basically put gas in it, connect the battery, and put air in the tires. Done.

I only mention this because in a lot of cases people blame the dealers for everything a fowl on their new machines. But in most of those cases, the dealer is not at fault. It's the manufacturer, or more specifically the assembly plant. When I was PDI'ing machines almost 20 years ago, I found the North American assembled machines did not have or show the same attention to detail and care of the Japanese built machines. You could definitely see the different mindset of the workers in the machines. Built using the same parts, but the North American ones almost seemed thrown together with no care.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
When I first saw my 2013 it was still sitting on part a crate with a steel skid. Wheels and tires were not installed and the handle bars were folded down.
I've been riding with a 3 different guys that have brand new machines, all SxS's that had loose lug nuts.
I go over my machines. I have only found one (not critical) bolt that was somewhat loose.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, After I got home from work I checked all the bolts just verify. All of them were good. I tried to video my bad rods but it isn't working out very well. But again both rods are definitely bad.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Appears that you have a warranty still..Take it in.

If you would rather check it yourself. Jack it up, take off the tires, ratchet strap the steering wheel from moving, then try moving the knuckle assembly and tie rods by hand while observing the tie rod ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts