Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my dealership the other day and bought the oil to do my oil change. She accidentally gave me the wrong filter. She gave me a 5GH instead of a 5DM. As the old filter was already disposed of and it was after hours, I just put the other filter on. It threaded on no problem. The difference is the 5GH is a little longer and a little narrower. Other then that they are both genuine Yamaha filters. Does anyone hear see any problem with leaving the filter on the ATV? Or should I replace it?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I went to my dealership the other day and bought the oil to do my oil change. She accidentally gave me the wrong filter. She gave me a 5GH instead of a 5DM. As the old filter was already disposed of and it was after hours, I just put the other filter on. It threaded on no problem. The difference is the 5GH is a little longer and a little narrower. Other then that they are both genuine Yamaha filters. Does anyone hear see any problem with leaving the filter on the ATV? Or should I replace it?
What year is your Grizz?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2017 Grizzly
352 Posts
Very cheap insurance to put another OM filter in there to make you feel better, the dealer should make it right, you will not lose a lot of oil in doing so, just replace and top off oil.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
It's a 2017 SE.
There is two types of oil filters from Yamaha for the new 708 engine, the short stubby that came on your Grizz from the factory and also the longer version used on the 708 that is in the new wolverine sxs, both work for this engine, I switched to the longer filter for my Grizz, my dealer made the same mistake and gave me the longer version used in the wolverine when I did my first oil change, I was concerned also, so this is probably what happened to you, but just check to make sure. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
X2 double check with the dealer because I don't like to hope something as important as an oil filter will work. If the dealer is a good one they should replace it with the correct one for free.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Lots of oil filter are different lengths or slightly different diameters but have exactly the same internal valving with more or less filter element inside. Not sure if that is the case here, but it does happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
The 5gh is for a wolverine 708cc engine, yamaha went with a shorter filter (5DM) on the grizzly because of the location of the filter to help from being damaged by trail Debris, but to answer your question, yes it will work.

Reactions: Dmadman72
1 - 8 of 8 Posts