Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, im lined up to buy a 2018 Yamaha Grizzly 700 on Wednesday and before i sign my life away i have one question to all of you;
What can the bigger 700 do that the smaller bike cant? Why go with the Grizzly 700 over the Kodiak 450 color copy by 55 printing ?
I have a few general ideas, like it the G can do everything the K can do just a little bit *more correct? Littlw bit more towing capacity, little bit more hp, torque etc.. am i right about this? What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Don't bother with a 450. stick with the 700 Grizzly or 700 Kodiak if you prefer a smaller machine. This is not an issue of capability as the 450s are capable, but the 26 hp motor get really boring real fast in my opinion

·
Premium Member
9,834 Posts
Welcome from Colorado.
That is a good question.
Your location, trail conditions and intended use are important to find your right machine.
Here at elevation we see very few smaller a.t.v.'s owned by locals, most small machines are owned by farmers/ranches with hands running around the flat valley floor, maybe carrying a ditch shovel.
Bikes with lower engine power are a problem here as engines lose 4% for every 1000 ft. of elevation above sea level.
I will ride two up, haul 2 or 3 days worth of supplies/gear for a stay out, drag an elk to the truck or haul butt across rough terrain for a long day ride crossing several high mountains passes with friends so the bigger machine is exactly what I want.....
As for need? I could just stay home and forget having a good time to save money.

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
My Queen had a 2011 450 Griz. It would go nearly anywhere a 700 would go. Had no problem cruising 45-50 mph and use less fuel.
The problems with it were mostly in the ride and rider comfort. In 2011 the adjustable shocks were omitted. I assume that Yamaha excepting riders to weight 200-250 put extremely stiff shocks on it and a lot of positive camber. Big rides brought the camber back to near zero. This made the ride very rough, twitchy and unstable.
My Queen rolled her 450. I was following so I was able to see what happen. In a small washout at low speed. Those shocks plus the excessive camber caused the front tire to roll under. This jacked the center of gravity enough the it rolled the machine. She was not hurt. I'm pretty sure crapped my pants. With in a week I had 6 ply tires and Fox podium shocks on it. This help with that situation not so much with the ride.

The 2011's and other years had the engine slung in the frame by 5 or 6 mounts. This did nothing for the engine vibration running from you feet to your head. It was unbearable. I modified the foot rests, got thicker handle bar grips, worked on the mounts. That machine would beat the tar out you from head to toe on an all day ride. Nothing helped until I bought her the 700 Kodi.

I see the new 450's Yamaha has brought adjustable shocks. They have them engine mounted with bottom crankcase mounts. That should help a lot with the vibration and some with the ride.
The 450 has a much smaller foot print and is much lighter it will always have a rougher ride and be less comfortable than the 700's. We ride the 700 Kodi's because they are 2" narrower that the Griz. They ride a little rougher for that reason and the Griz has better shocks with progressive spring.

We normally ride 4-5000 a season the ride does matter.

My 2.0162¢ buy the Griz or at least the 700 Kodi.

·
Registered
2017 Kodiak 700 ESP SE
399 Posts
If you are able to take both for a test ride you will buy the 700 hands down. And be glad you did. You say a little bit of difference here and there....maybe looking at them side by side but not by the seat of the pants ride comparison.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you are small or younger, the 450 eps is pretty nice. I bought one for my son who is 12 (been riding since he was 3-4 years ago old) and it’s perfect for him. He handles it well on green, blue and some blacks (mild ones) at hatfield mccoy. It is a smaller and shorter quad though for sure and it doesn’t have much power (but plenty for a kid)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't know if you signed your life away yet or not but we have a 17 Grizzly 700 and a 19 Kodiak 450 SE. The 450 is what my wife wanted. IMO it all boils down to where you are riding. If you are riding tight trails the narrower Kodiak is the way to go as its 2-3" narrower and that width dont sound like much until you get in really tight trails and then you will notice the rear fender bumping off of tree's and IMO I would get the 700 over a 450 any day. More power any time you may need or want it. The Grizzly/Kodiak 700 has a bigger gas tank than the kodiak 450 so both will run out of gas about the same time. The 700 engine is still smoother over the new 450 engine. Another thing to look at is when seated on them is the 450 has short bars VS the 700's. The other thing I can think of off hand and they may have changed it?? Is the grizzly seat is thicker and more comfortable for a long days ride. On our 17 & 19 we can swap seats and we have. Dumb idea on my part as now I have to buy her a grizzly seat as its more comfortable. lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts