Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my OEM tires which are Maxxis Zilla (beside throwing rocks like a machine gun, I absolutely love them), which I remember to being Bias tires, as seen on this site:

Light Product Font Material property Automotive tire

but looking on the official Maxxis site, these are stated to be radial tires, same exact description description as Big Horns
(6 ply rated radial construction)
Automotive tire Tire Font Rim Automotive wheel system

Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

So, in theory, there are two possibility: 1- the official maxxis site has an error on its description or 2- they changed it to a radial tire, which I doubt and I hope they didn't do.

Anybody knowing what's up with that? Am I missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Zillas are bias tires.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Zillas . Their handling feels clumsy and lack precision . Also I needed 4wd in a few steep hills where my old worn Growlers would climb in 2wd.

The fancy 14" wheels started getting rim damage from rocks on the very first ride. Sold the 14" wheels and Zillas shortly after that .

Reactions: wgc and diverscale

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
I was looking at my OEM tires which are Maxxis Zilla (beside throwing rocks like a machine gun, I absolutely love them), which I remember to being Bias tires, as seen on this site:

View attachment 103123

but looking on the official Maxxis site, these are stated to be radial tires, same exact description description as Big Horns
View attachment 103124

View attachment 103125

So, in theory, there are two possibility: 1- the official maxxis site has an error on its description or 2- they changed it to a radial tire, which I doubt and I hope they didn't do.

That's definitely a mistake on the website. Zillas are 100% a bias tire. The best thing they could do would actually be start building them as a radial. They would handle better last longer and be a lot more puncture resistant. Have no idea why you wouldn't want it to be a radial.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's definitely a mistake on the website. Zillas are 100% a bias tire. The best thing they could do would actually be start building them as a radial. They would handle better last longer and be a lot more puncture resistant. Have no idea why you wouldn't want it to be a radial.
I don't want a radial tire for the simple reason I want to keep puncture resistance on the sidewalls. I would -never- buy a radial tire where I have to drive when I am off the federated trails, you are just asking to be towed. Don't advocate for radial zillas, as bias is the reason I want to buy these again, they have proven themselves in my conditions. Just buy something else.

But thank you for making it clear it was a mistake on their site.

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
I don't want a radial tire for the simple reason I want to keep puncture resistance on the sidewalls. I would -never- buy a radial tire where I have to drive when I am off the federated trails, you are just asking to be towed. Don't advocate for radial zillas, as bias is the reason I want to buy these again, they have proven themselves in my conditions. Just buy something else.

But thank you for making it clear it was a mistake on their site.
Puncture resistance is the exact reason why you would want it to be a radial A radial tire is far more puncture resistant than any bias ply tire. The sidewall and the tread of a radial tire is much stronger than a bias. I would advocate for a radial Zilla on behalf of most ATVers. But for myself the Zilla tread is garbage as I don't do any mud riding hardly at all I do mostly trail which is going to be hard pack soft sand rocks gravel and some asphalt very very little mud.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Puncture resistance is the exact reason why you would want it to be a radial A radial tire is far more puncture resistant than any bias ply tire. The sidewall and the tread of a radial tire is much stronger than a bias. I would advocate for a radial Zilla on behalf of most ATVers. But for myself the Zilla tread is garbage as I don't do any mud riding hardly at all I do mostly trail which is going to be hard pack soft sand rocks gravel and some asphalt very very little mud.
The sidewall on a bias tire is tougher than on a radial tire every day of the month. Also, maximum speed on that grizz is 101 km/h and the zilla's got the job done (sloppy in the curves for sure) in any conditions I've had. Again, I ride often alone and I don't want to pop that radial sidewall. Have a look at how is a bias tire made

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
The sidewall on a bias tire is tougher than on a radial tire every day of the month. Also, maximum speed on that grizz is 101 km/h and the zilla's got the job done (sloppy in the curves for sure) in any conditions I've had. Again, I ride often alone and I don't want to pop that radial sidewall. Have a look at how is a bias tire made
You really need to educate yourself on radial versus bias ply construction of tires. I have just under 15 years in the tire industry. The first few were a grunt out in the bay putting tires on vehicles and organizing warehouse and storage areas. I work my way up to managing our shops for the next 12 years, countless hours of training seminars with multiple tire manufacturers most of it being the same seminar with a different tire logo at the top but that's besides the point. You're not going to school me on tires this is one topic that I understand very well and an very schooled in. A bias tire sidewall every day of the week and twice on Sunday, is weaker than a radial. You may get the impression that a bias is going to be better because it may have a little thicker rubber, but that's only to keep the sidewall from deflecting severely whereas a radial being a stronger tire construction can maintain its shape with less materials in the sidewall. Add on top of that if it happens to be a steel belted radial, you're adding a whole another level of protection. You will blow a biased tire at high speed before you will ever blow a radial tire at the same speeds. I can tell you 100% if you're traveling out in the bush all alone and you're worried about a tire blowing you should be running radials not bias end of story.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so we should eliminate bias tires from the planet? They are the same price...

I'll take more sidewall material and a softer belt with my usage of the atv. Like I said, they have proven themselves, sorry if I don't have any videos, but they really did save my ass. All I want is not to have a sidewall punctured, as it is not as easily repaired. I always carry a tire repair kit and compressor.

I'll buy the zillas throwing rocks at my plastics as long as they are bias. If they change that, I'll buy another tire that is bias. Riding alone, I'll do my own decisions on my safety.

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
Ok so we should eliminate bias tires from the planet? They are the same price...

I'll take more sidewall material and a softer belt with my usage of the atv. Like I said, they have proven themselves, sorry if I don't have any videos, but they really did save my ass. All I want is not to have a sidewall punctured, as it is not as easily repaired. I always carry a tire repair kit and compressor.

I'll buy the zillas throwing rocks at my plastics as long as they are bias. If they change that, I'll buy another tire that is bias. Riding alone, I'll do my own decisions on my safety.
I didn't say anything about eliminating bias tires from the planet. They have a place, they are less expensive than a radial so that is why you usually see them on a lot of farm equipment and logging equipment and also why they are often used as an OEM tire on an ATV. As I mentioned before more rubber in the sidewall on a bias doesn't make it stronger A radial tire has a stronger sidewall than any bias tire The rubber compound used in most bias tires is much softer and weaker than the rubber compound used in a radial tire. I'm not doubting that you had great luck with them but it being a bias tire has nothing to do with the reason you had great luck with it. I'll guarantee a radial tire would have give you just as good a performance and actually better performance given all the same situations.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
What about the air down statement below? I don’t claim to know much about tires other than putting winter tires on my autos in an area that typically just uses all-season. :)

most reviews and not saying they knew what they were talking about state sidewall was stiffer and or radial equivalent wouldn’t typically have as many plys and would be more susceptible to puncture. I’ve had my share of punctures with radial ATV tires but no idea how this be over the long haul.

“That said, its bias-ply construction makes it a somewhat pliable tire, meaning it can safely be aired-down if need be, without an outsize risk of puncture.”

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
A radial tire typically won't have as many plies in the sidewall due to the fact that they are stronger and don't need the added layers to make the tire handle the weight of the machine or vehicle. This is also another area the people often get confused with automatically thinking that the more plies a tire is rated at the better the sidewall which is not true The higher number of plies in a tire usually only applies to the tread area not the sidewall a typical automotive tire will not have more than two plies some have three even though the tire is rated as a 10 ply tire. The actual wording tells you it's a 10-ply rating, keyword being rating. Modern tire technology has advanced to the point that we no longer need to actually put the true number of plies into a tire to gain the same strength that it did in the early days of the old original bias tires that used rubber and nylon only. A typical four ply so-called cheap tire with modern technology is still way further ahead than most of the old six, eight, or even 10 ply tires from back in say the '50s and '60s. Most tire companies like any company will twist and play with these words in an effort to simply sell the tire.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

View attachment 103123

View attachment 103124

View attachment 103125

I've had great luck with the Zilla's. Once you put a few hundred miles on them they won't throw rocks like when new. My personal experience is zilla's are the best stock tires I've owned on an atv. I ride in a lot of diverse conditions and they've always worked well. Some gripe about handling, but I think that's partially a characteristic of the 10 inch wide fronts.....when they gripe about handling I spin mud on them as I go through a mud hole and they get stuck! LOL! Some poo poo the zillas, but then go out and spend a grand on new tires. I keep riding and smiling. For comparison sake.... I've had several thousand miles of riding experience with bighorn radials and the only thing the bighorns do better than zillas is ride more plush and have more side wall punctures, bighorns are good at that.

Reactions: diverscale

·
Registered
264 Posts
You really need to educate yourself on radial versus bias ply construction of tires. I have just under 15 years in the tire industry. The first few were a grunt out in the bay putting tires on vehicles and organizing warehouse and storage areas. I work my way up to managing our shops for the next 12 years, countless hours of training seminars with multiple tire manufacturers most of it being the same seminar with a different tire logo at the top but that's besides the point. You're not going to school me on tires this is one topic that I understand very well and an very schooled in. A bias tire sidewall every day of the week and twice on Sunday, is weaker than a radial. You may get the impression that a bias is going to be better because it may have a little thicker rubber, but that's only to keep the sidewall from deflecting severely whereas a radial being a stronger tire construction can maintain its shape with less materials in the sidewall. Add on top of that if it happens to be a steel belted radial, you're adding a whole another level of protection. You will blow a biased tire at high speed before you will ever blow a radial tire at the same speeds. I can tell you 100% if you're traveling out in the bush all alone and you're worried about a tire blowing you should be running radials not bias end of story.
I was a tire technician too way back. Radials will have a softer ride sidewall, but are stronger and more puncture resistant than a bias sidewall. Radials are heavier but ride so much nicer, I agree with everything you stated.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Any advantage to a bias ply on tread area and ply numbers?

I was looking at some Carlisle tires I have put on my Polaris quads and other than ply they don't mention radial or bias ply

I have nowhere enough seat time to be satisfied or dissatisfied ... in limited riding I think these will do for now

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
Any advantage to a bias ply on tread area and ply numbers?

I was looking at some Carlisle tires I have put on my Polaris quads and other than ply they don't mention radial or bias ply

I have nowhere enough seat time to be satisfied or dissatisfied ... in limited riding I think these will do for now
A bias ply tire in the tread area is definitely going to be less puncture resistant than a radial. In an ATV tire you typically won't see any more than four to six ply rating in the trade area. Again this is only a rating it doesn't mean an actual number of plies. It all depends on what the plies are constructed of. They could be steel belts they could be nylon they could be Kevlar, or multiple other kinds of synthetic materials. It all depends on strength, weight, and cost.

It's hard to tell on a lot of websites if the tire is radio or bias if you can't see the actual sidewall of the tire, and they don't mention in the ad. It's also hard to tell by the actual tire size that they list because many dealers still write the tire size down as a bias even when it's a radial they're all so used to writing for example 25-8-12 which would indicate a bias apply tire, whereas 25-8R12 would typically indicate radio. The R is the indicator. But then you have some of the cheap companies that throw a loop in there where they will write 25-8 R-12 or something similar I have actually even seen this molded into the tires that we used to get from our supplier as a low cost option to sell.

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
147 Posts
My Grizz is set to land here shortly, 22 SE, the zillas are coming off at the dealer and Blackwaters are going on, This is my 3rd set and for my riding conditions they are the best YMMV. That being said, if anyone wants a brand new set of zillas , cheap, I'm in Windsor, Ont.

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
My Grizz is set to land here shortly, 22 SE, the zillas are coming off at the dealer and Blackwaters are going on, This is my 3rd set and for my riding conditions they are the best YMMV. That being said, if anyone wants a brand new set of zillas , cheap, I'm in Windsor, Ont.
PM me a price for the zillas, 14" right? I might be interested in driving down and picking them up for a buddy for his outlander

1 - 17 of 17 Posts