Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Zillas on xtr throwing rocks.

5K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Xa32f634W 
#1 ·
After 500km (300 miles) this is what my rear fenders/floorboards look like. Don’t care for the look/fit of the Yamaha fender flare but I think I’m going to have to add something to protect my 16k investment! Anyone have experience with the Yamaha over fenders? Any input would be great I’m leaning towards the Yamaha ones as they’ll cover 90% of this disaster
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Bag Hood

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep, Yamaha had a better idea. Put on 10 wide tires and leave the fenders the same size. Brilliant as my 2021 looks the same as yours, aggravating.

#4 ·
aggravating is right! This thing looks like I beat the snot out of it, when in reality I’ve babied the thing, 99% of the time with my young kids. On a positive note, looking at pictures of the Yamaha over fenders it looks as though they’ll cover almost all of this mess. I will post pictures once I get them installed. They should blend in well with my Grizzlies colour scheme.

#5 ·
The over-fenders might cover up damage, but not stop more rocks from coming up....keep us posted.
I'm probably not as concerned with the looks as you, so I added rock deflectors outside the floor boards to stop big rocks from coming up and hitting my arms. Over-fenders make the Grizzly wider and around here we have 50" gates so wider is not a good deal.

These also keep most (not all) of the mud and snow from reaching the rear fender. These are from the first and last mornings out on a 3 day trip;

This is after 12 miles in the snow;

#6 ·
I see there are some options for floorboard protectors that would double at keeping the rocks down. I wasn’t as concerned with my 2000 kodiak , because it was older at the time, just a little annoyed that my new Grizzly looks like it does after a few trips. I will post back how they perform after an upcoming 140km poker rally in less than 2 weeks.

#7 ·
Those painted special editions look beautiful but I would scratch it up really badly where I ride. I think overfenders help a lot but camo ages the best and hides dirt and scratches really well. Best color new and used.

#8 ·
that’s why I went with the matte finish and not the high gloss black. No matter what colour you get the floor boards are black plastic and this is where 90% of the damage is occurring. Flares should be here this week. I’ll be getting the heat gun and the roll of black vinyl out to place over the flare in this area to see what happens.

#11 ·
Looks great and those should catch most of what's chipping up the plastic

Reactions: Northern Grizzly
#30 ·
My dealer did say the only thing I might not like are the Zillas for ride and kicking up rocks. He suspects the other one he sold got it's radiator taken out by flung rocks from the tires. So far I have been fine with them even on hard surfaces. Perhaps I am used to the ride on my other rigs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.