Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Grizzly eps covert green se, 2019 WR250r PW50 that’s it for yammies
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 500km (300 miles) this is what my rear fenders/floorboards look like. Don’t care for the look/fit of the Yamaha fender flare but I think I’m going to have to add something to protect my 16k investment! Anyone have experience with the Yamaha over fenders? Any input would be great I’m leaning towards the Yamaha ones as they’ll cover 90% of this disaster
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Bag Hood

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
Yamaha fender flares are realky your only option if you want something that actually fits and looks decent. There were a couple aftermarket choices, but they are near impossible to find now fue to poor fitment and not really looking that great.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Yep, Yamaha had a better idea. Put on 10 wide tires and leave the fenders the same size. Brilliant as my 2021 looks the same as yours, aggravating.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, Yamaha had a better idea. Put on 10 wide tires and leave the fenders the same size. Brilliant as my 2021 looks the same as yours, aggravating.
aggravating is right! This thing looks like I beat the snot out of it, when in reality I’ve babied the thing, 99% of the time with my young kids. On a positive note, looking at pictures of the Yamaha over fenders it looks as though they’ll cover almost all of this mess. I will post pictures once I get them installed. They should blend in well with my Grizzlies colour scheme.

·
Premium Member
12,737 Posts
The over-fenders might cover up damage, but not stop more rocks from coming up....keep us posted.
I'm probably not as concerned with the looks as you, so I added rock deflectors outside the floor boards to stop big rocks from coming up and hitting my arms. Over-fenders make the Grizzly wider and around here we have 50" gates so wider is not a good deal.
https://flic.kr/p/fYCub4 These also keep most (not all) of the mud and snow from reaching the rear fender. These are from the first and last mornings out on a 3 day trip;
https://flic.kr/p/fSRxHz https://flic.kr/p/fSRZta This is after 12 miles in the snow;
https://flic.kr/p/jCqbht

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see there are some options for floorboard protectors that would double at keeping the rocks down. I wasn’t as concerned with my 2000 kodiak , because it was older at the time, just a little annoyed that my new Grizzly looks like it does after a few trips. I will post back how they perform after an upcoming 140km poker rally in less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Those painted special editions look beautiful but I would scratch it up really badly where I ride. I think overfenders help a lot but camo ages the best and hides dirt and scratches really well. Best color new and used.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those painted special editions look beautiful but I would scratch it up really badly where I ride. I think overfenders help a lot but camo ages the best and hides dirt and scratches really well. Best color new and used.
that’s why I went with the matte finish and not the high gloss black. No matter what colour you get the floor boards are black plastic and this is where 90% of the damage is occurring. Flares should be here this week. I’ll be getting the heat gun and the roll of black vinyl out to place over the flare in this area to see what happens.

·
Registered
156 Posts
that’s why I went with the matte finish and not the high gloss black. No matter what colour you get the floor boards are black plastic and this is where 90% of the damage is occurring. Flares should be here this week. I’ll be getting the heat gun and the roll of black vinyl out to place over the flare in this area to see what happens.
The floor boards take a pounding for sure. So do the over fenders. My Rotopax scrape some as well. Here is that same area on my 2007 700. I think I see Yoda in the camo now.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks great and those should catch most of what's chipping up the plastic

Reactions: Northern Grizzly

·
Registered
121 Posts
The over-fenders might cover up damage, but not stop more rocks from coming up....keep us posted.
I'm probably not as concerned with the looks as you, so I added rock deflectors outside the floor boards to stop big rocks from coming up and hitting my arms. Over-fenders make the Grizzly wider and around here we have 50" gates so wider is not a good deal.
https://flic.kr/p/fYCub4 These also keep most (not all) of the mud and snow from reaching the rear fender. These are from the first and last mornings out on a 3 day trip;
https://flic.kr/p/fSRxHz https://flic.kr/p/fSRZta This is after 12 miles in the snow;
https://flic.kr/p/jCqbht
Man, those pics make me wanna load up and take a cross country trip through the hills!

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
Actually the industrial paint used on the SE is super tough. It doesn't scratch easily. Branches don't leave a mark at all.
Over time the camo wraps fade horribly. Worse than the molded color plastics.
My 2018 kodiak SE has seen plenty of brush and no scratches, my only scratch is from a raccoon climbing up on my bike to reach the bird feeder, he slipped, fell and in his panic, he dug a nail into my rear fender. Would have scratched anything as he went into the plastic. FML

·
Registered
156 Posts
Actually the industrial paint used on the SE is super tough. It doesn't scratch easily. Branches don't leave a mark at all.
Over time the camo wraps fade horribly. Worse than the molded color plastics.
My 2018 kodiak SE has seen plenty of brush and no scratches, my only scratch is from a raccoon climbing up on my bike to reach the bird feeder, he slipped, fell and in his panic, he dug a nail into my rear fender. Would have scratched anything as he went into the plastic. FML

I hope my camo keeps holding up as well as it has. The blue painted Polaris I ride with is scratched up horribly from our rides here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
key word here is Polaris
Indeed. I do a fair amount of scraping on trees and rocks here. I don't think any paint could take it. I ride close behind that Polaris. I watch it doing all sorts of strange things engine braking and regular braking. So paint quality is for sure suspect.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made little mudflaps from an old inner tube from a skidder. Used existing bolts/holes, we will see how it does tomorrow
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
Indeed. I do a fair amount of scraping on trees and rocks here. I don't think any paint could take it. I ride close behind that Polaris. I watch it doing all sorts of strange things engine braking and regular braking. So paint quality is for sure suspect.
As i had said, my paint hasn't had a single scratch from trees yet, and it's beat through some pretty grown in trails. recently it really got a beating in the bush, and the paint faired better than my shoulder when i was turning around.... Didn't see the little 18" drop off the rocks because a little sapling was covering it, i rolled back, dropped rear tires down off that rock, and bumped into the branches from an old half dead tree. My fenders and storage box broke and bent most branches, but one little sharp one impaled skin on my shoulder and came back out 3/4" from where it went in. It bled bad when i pulled the stick out, but some crazy glue held the 2 wounds closed, and i put a wad of toilet paper over it and some gorilla tape over the TP..... Pro tip.... Don't use gorilla tape on skin that you want to keep attached to your body during removal.

So yeah the paint on these bikes can handle brush/trees no prob, rocks would scratch it just as easy as it would molded plastics, or the camo wraps/hydro dips. I've never rub against rocks with any plastic, my tires & rims hit first.
I haven't had rocks fly off my tires and pit my fender paint so far, but i run reptiles not zillas, so they tend to just throw rocks straight forward

·
Registered
2022 Grizzly 700 SE
65 Posts
I just got mine and they had the flares already installed on the bike at the dealer but I personally love the look
Nice, I wanted to know if they fitted the stock yamaha bumper.

How are these flares attached? Do you have to drill new holes? I am not sure about the added width and if I will always keep them on.

But seeing the pictures in here and how effective they seem, I'm going to order them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts