Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
No lawsuit.
If the machine meets a certain criteria the fix is free.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Has anyone had help from Yamaha to fix this issue for FREE!?! Seeing how it appears to be a flaw directly related to their engineering? I just started having issues with a 2016 I got earlier in the spring here (April). Is there any knowledge of a class action suit to address this situation? I am starting the process, and new here. Thanks for any suggestions, answers and opinions or facts.
There is no lawsuit. And there is no recall either as it's not a safety issue. There is simply a service bulletin released for oil burning.

And as reogem stated, there is criteria to meet on that service bulletin. If you meet the criteria, your repairs are free. That is very fair. You can't expect any manufacturer to repair something for free that has been abused or shown a complete lack of maintenance.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My 2016 does not burn a drop of oil and runs perfect. Never smokes on start up. 2600 kms on it since I bought it new in Oct 2017. I'll keep and eye on it though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
From what I have heard is that the current bulletin only applies to Canada VIN's and they are also doing the fix in Australia and New Zealand.

I can only hope that the US will be included soon. Apparently the VIN's for the US market are different, I assume its needed for taxation and customs purposes.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Talk to our local dealer the bulletin is in effect in Wisconsin anyhow

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Although I still don’t have the service bulletin in hand (nor can I find it on line, in the US version), my dealer tells me it is Service Bulletin ATV 2019-004A for the US grizzles. I was also told it is good for 5 years from of the original sale date. So if you have a 2016 purchased in 2015 (like me) you will want to have it done soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Although I still don’t have the service bulletin in hand (nor can I find it on line, in the US version), my dealer tells me it is Service Bulletin ATV 2019-004A for the US grizzles. I was also told it is good for 5 years from of the original sale date. So if you have a 2016 purchased in 2015 (like me) you will want to have it done soon.
ToyFord, are you experiencing the smoking or burning of oil? I wonder if they will fix any 16-18 or only if the problem is occurring. I understand the burning of oil comes with higher mileage? Thanks for sharing your progress and would greatly appreciate you keeping us updated on your progress.
Thanks,

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got a message on facebook with this PDF file. Unfortunately the file is to big to upload. Here is pics of it. Its good to Sept 23, 2025.

If one of the moderators see this please send me a PM and I will see if I can send you this in a zip file so it can be uploaded to the forum.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ToyFord, are you experiencing the smoking or burning of oil? I wonder if they will fix any 16-18 or only if the problem is occurring. I understand the burning of oil comes with higher mileage? Thanks for sharing your progress and would greatly appreciate you keeping us updated on your progress.
Thanks,
The bike has less than 1000 miles on it. Normally burning oil is from worn out oil rings on the piston, which is the case here as well. Just that it’s premature. The most consistent smoking event is on a cold start and it will smoke for a couple minutes. Indeed I need to add oil on occasion, although the amount and frequency isn’t very consistent. My dealers says the process involves videoing a cold start and sending to Yamaha HQ for approval, after which the repair parts are sent to the dealer. The same as described by another poster above. I really doubt a proactive repair would be approved.

@Viking1, indeed I saw the photos of the Canadian service bulletin in the OP. It does not include VINs of bikes sold in the US, nor does it contain the bulletin number I mentioned (it’s ATV19-007 vs ATV 2019-004A). Although, indeed, it is for the same malady and has a much longer effective period (23SEP25 vs 5 years from initial sale date), so if a US dealer will take the Canadian bulletin, that will be a good deal for that owner.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Here is the bulletin that I used for an approved repair.

Attached is a PDF of the Bulletin.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Apparently it doesn't matter. I found our Kodi model number and it was approved and was repaired no charge.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts